Re: Mourning clothing...

  • Kass McGann
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 19, 2001
      > In _Genji_ (Seidensticker's translation any way), the kuge
      all wear
      > shades of gray when in mourning. There's obviously variations
      according
      > to the text, but I didn't read it closely enough to see if I could
      > figure out a pattern to the system.

      Good catch, Yumitori-dono. The people in mourning wear shades of
      grey dependent upon their rank and their hierarchical proximity to
      the deceased. For example, the Emperor never wears black because he
      is too high ranking. But the deceased closest relations do (unless
      they outrank her like Genji did Murasaki, if I remember correctly).
      I do believe some nobles actually wear black.

      As the period of mourning expires, everyone wears lighter and lighter
      shades until they are back to normal.

      Fujiwara no Aoi