[SCA-JML] Re: Myths & Dragons

  • Barbara Nostrand
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 8, 2000
      Noble Cousins!

      Greetings from Solveig! Bottom line. Dragons are Chinese. Yes, the
      Japanese know about them, but they are pretty much Chinese. The
      Japanese are much more concerned about more or less native Japanese
      spooks such as Kitsune, Tanuki, Tengu, Oni, "Earthspiders", &c.

      Now then. A lot of dragons are (as I recall) essentially aquatic and
      live at the bottom of the Ocean or in similar places. They are also
      not necessarily all that bad as folks go. They tend to be immortal
      gods and that sort of thing. In at least one legend a young man
      finds himself in the court of the dragon king and has a spendid time
      there.

      Other dragons fly through the clouds and are associated with rain.
      (Even though that is really the department of the thunder god who is
      rather different and is a native Japanese character.)

      While there are lots of places in Japan which claim to be infested
      with either Oni or Tengu and there are at least three places that
      claim to be the one true home of Momotaro the oni conqueror, I do
      not recall any place that claimed a special association with dragons.
      Maybe Baron Edward (who if he doesn't watch out will find himself
      routinely called Hiraizumi Dono) can recall such a place, but I don't,
      and at one point I was collecting Mukashibanashi books.

      The Road to the West (see "Monkey" by Waley) has a shape changing
      dragon in it as I recall. This is a Chinese novel which cam out in
      the late 16th early 17th century as I recall. This novel is wildly
      popular in East Asia and has been adapted quite a few times.

      | techie.com |