Somewake Shibori

  • agnesvonh
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 30, 2014

      I am wondering if anyone here has any experience with Somewake Shibori. I understand from the Shibori book "Shibori: The Inventive Art of Japanese Shaped Resist Dyeing" that historically this was done with a complicated process of a wooden tub and boards and ropes. I am hoping that perhaps someone has come up with a better modern way to achieve the result as I am interesting exploring the use of that type of shibori in an upcoming project.

      Thanks

      Agnes

      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 30, 2014
        I've only played with some of the stitch-resist methods*. If that book doesn't have a more modern way of creating the effect, it probably doesn't exist. The authors are modern shibori artists.

        Sorry not to have better news.

        Saionji no Hana, OL, West Kingdom

        *In fact, I'm about to take a crack at doing it on undyed sweatshirt fleece for a modern jacket for myself. ;)
      • hana
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 30, 2014
          Was it similar to this, or could some of the same methods be used?
          http://digitalcommons.unl.edu/tsaconf/5/

          (Just guessing, as shibori isn't my thing. Hope it helps.) //back to
          lurking in my den
        • Carey Marquardt

            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 4, 2014
              This is what kyokechi looks like: 夾纈(きょうけち)板締 Kyokechi-Itajime