Re: Study of Archaic Braiding Techniques in Japan, by Masako Kinoshi

  • James Eckman
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 8, 2014
      You can order a new copy from Amazon Japan for 5,400 yen + shipping.
      There is apparently a new third edition published in May this year. If
      you have a local Japanese bookstore, you might be able to save on shipping.

      Jim
    • Charles Dodge
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 8, 2014

        You can order a new copy from Amazon Japan for 5,400 yen + shipping.
        There is apparently a new third edition published in May this year. If
        you have a local Japanese bookstore, you might be able to save on shipping.

        Jim

        I've tried Amazon Japan and if it's this book that you're talking about, Amazon.co.jp: 丸だいのくみひも 120: 多田牧子: 本, then it's a different book altogether. This one is the Comprehensive treaty on braids, Maru-dai braids and is by a different author.
        If you're talking about a different book then please share a link.
        Nakos

        .

        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 8, 2014

          You can order a new copy from Amazon Japan for 5,400 yen + shipping.
          There is apparently a new third edition published in May this year. If
          you have a local Japanese bookstore, you might be able to save on shipping.

          My experiences with Kinokuniya suggest that Amazon will be the cheaper option.

        • James Eckman
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 9, 2014
            > Posted by: "Charles Dodge"
            > I've tried Amazon Japan and if it's this book that you're talking about, Amazon.co.jp: 丸だいのくみひも 120: 多田牧子: 本, then it's a different book altogether. This one is the Comprehensive treaty on braids, Maru-dai braids and is by a different author.
            > If you're talking about a different book then please share a link.
            > Nakos
            I should have read the blurb closer, you're right, wrong book.

            Jim
          • greek_nakos
            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 10, 2014

              So after checking with the CARL library on Ft Leavenworth, the book I need, Study of Archaic Braiding Techniques in Japan, Guide for English Readers, is unavailable for inter-library loan as there are only two copies in the US. The CARL Library currently can't do personal inter-library loans so I'm going to try the Leavenworth County Library to see if they can't get the Japanese text, there are 10 copies in the US. So my research on hand braided kumihimo is at a standstill right now. These are two different books, one in all Japanese, 360 pages and the English Supplement, 19 pages.

              I've exuahsted the amount of english websites and english books. If they can't get the Japanese text I either need to learn Japanese or spend about $400 for this one book. So if there is anyone near the LA County Museum of Art or the Georgia State University that can borrow the english book and see it's way into a copier, the english text is only19 pages, I would be much appeciative.

              Nakos

            • danabren
              Message 6 of 7 , Jul 11, 2014
                Nakos,

                Mistress Margavati Bai is located in Atlanta, and she has a friend at Georgia State who she can ask for help.

                Please contact her at legosnell AT gmail DOT com, tell her Soga sent you. She is waiting to hear from you.

                Soga
              • Charles Dodge
                Message 7 of 7 , Jul 11, 2014
                  Soga,