Re: [SCA-JML] Japanese stuff at Pennsic

    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 2, 2001
      OgamiAkira@... wrote:

      > I would be interested in supporting a Japanese tourney at Pennsic.
      > If folks would like, I could even have my Clan (Yama Kaminari)
      > sponsor the event and provide stage dressing, taiko drummers (weather
      > permitting), windscreens, and whatever else would make it look good
      > and run smoothly.

      Spiff!!

      I'd appreciate the help and support with this one. I'm planning on having a
      little favor-like-prezzie for all the participants in the tourney as well
      as a general prize thingie.

      > Might I suggest as well that it go a bit beyond a simple tourney?
      > How about a kyudo (or at least yumi) competition, and perhaps even a
      > contest (in the tradition of Yoshitsune's retainer Benkei) to see who
      > can deflect the most combat arrows?

      How could we tell if they miss? I think we should use real arrows for this
      one, since they'd stick and we could tell. <G>

      Effingham
    • GrimShieldsson
      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 2, 2001
        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 2, 2001
          Howdy, folks.
          I'm beginning to ask some people in Yama Kaminari about when would be
          a good day for this Japanese shindig and what they would like to have
          go on. This is going to be a terrific amount of work, and I don't
          want it all to fall on the heads (and backs) of my squires. So far
          I've just thrown out some ideas (like a poetry competition and a sumo
          match) and I'm waiting to see what I get back. Koredono, my senior
          squire, has pointed out that the earlier we hold it, the less likely
          we are to conflict with something major. As he pointed out, war week
          itself is essentially a write-off. The 'middle Saturday' is probably
          the best we're going to do.

          And, no, I'm not very formal, am I?
        • michael A
          Message 4 of 11 , Jan 3, 2001
            As before when effingham-dono mentioned the idea of a
            tourney, Id be glad to assist in any way possible
            getting such an auspicious event going at war.

            I definately agree that if we all come together and
            help, we can save those poor squires backs. :)

            -Kiyohara

            --- OgamiAkira@... wrote:
            > Howdy, folks.
            > I'm beginning to ask some people in Yama Kaminari
            > about when would be
            > a good day for this Japanese shindig and what they
            > would like to have
            > go on. This is going to be a terrific amount of
            > work, and I don't
            > want it all to fall on the heads (and backs) of my
            > squires. So far
            > I've just thrown out some ideas (like a poetry
            > competition and a sumo
            > match) and I'm waiting to see what I get back.
            > Koredono, my senior
            > squire, has pointed out that the earlier we hold it,
            > the less likely
            > we are to conflict with something major. As he
            > pointed out, war week
            > itself is essentially a write-off. The 'middle
            > Saturday' is probably
            > the best we're going to do.
            >
            > And, no, I'm not very formal, am I?

            http://photos.yahoo.com/
          • Joshua Badgley
            Message 5 of 11 , Jan 3, 2001
              On Wed, 3 Jan 2001, michael A wrote:

              > I definately agree that if we all come together and
              > help, we can save those poor squires backs. :)

              I would love to help out at the event, but it requires at least one other
              thing for some of us: when do we need to get there? I notice that people
              can show up early, but just how early are we supposed to get there? This
              is rather important for me; Jamboree-like situations are no problem, but I
              do need to know when I need to be there. Just let me know and I'll put it
              on the calendar!

              Message 6 of 11 , Jan 4, 2001
                OgamiAkira@... wrote:

                > Howdy, folks.
                > I'm beginning to ask some people in Yama Kaminari about when would be
                > a good day for this Japanese shindig and what they would like to have
                > go on. This is going to be a terrific amount of work, and I don't
                > want it all to fall on the heads (and backs) of my squires. So far
                > I've just thrown out some ideas (like a poetry competition and a sumo
                > match) and I'm waiting to see what I get back. Koredono, my senior
                > squire, has pointed out that the earlier we hold it, the less likely
                > we are to conflict with something major. As he pointed out, war week
                > itself is essentially a write-off. The 'middle Saturday' is probably
                > the best we're going to do.

                That would probably work. I'd suggest Sunday, though, if possible, to
                allow the folks who can only do one week at war to get in and get set
                up. Does this sound logical, or a baseless concern? I dunno.

                > And, no, I'm not very formal, am I?

                There's stuffy and there's stuffy. And then there's laid back. <wink>