Shijo-Ryu Hocho-do (Shijo School of the Kitchen Knife)

  • JL Badgley
    Message 1 of 3 , May 12, 2014
      Warning:  These videos show a whole fish being made (very ceremonially and with great pomp) into many parts.  While there is very little blood, I figured I would put a trigger warning up for anyone who doesn't care for that sort of thing.

      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Na7bD7q-W0

      Shijo Ryu is a style of ceremonial filleting that goes back to at least 1489 when the book "Shijo Ryu Hou Chou Sho" was written, with claims of origins back to the 9th century.  This was a part of presentation at feasts and festivals, and you often see the decorative fish in displays, but I hadn't seen it actually done before.  This could, on the one hand, be a really cool means of presenting a feast.  On the other hand it would require that people sit and wait for their food, so maybe not best for a bunch of hungry diners.  If you are going to *serve* said fish, you want to make sure that it is sashimi-grade fish, and I would want to practice ahead of time, a *lot*.

      Here is a page for the Shijo Ryu school:

      Message 2 of 3 , May 13, 2014
        Eric Rath devotes a chapter to The Men of The Knife in his "Food and Fantasy In Early Modern Japan."  These meat "subtleties" were created in front of the banquet guests, the final result was displayed for their admiration, and then whisked away never to be seen again - though Rath conjectures that the bits might find their way into a soup or other course.

        IIRC, he also describes the presentation of dishes on feast trays that were there for symbolic reasons only and not to be eaten. Presumably the guests would be in the know that a particular arrangement of a certain food in a bowl or dish was ornamental only.  I'll need to look when I get home as it's been a while since I read it.

        Saionji no Hana
        West Kingdom
      • Troxell, Mark A.
        Message 3 of 3 , May 13, 2014

          There might be some validity to Rath’s assumption.. In modern day Beijing, duck is presented to guests at a dinner, then cut up in a very ritualistic way in front of the guests.. very entertaining.., each part/subsection is then displayed for the guests…if accepted,  the duck is then taken away and served in several dishes .. an appetizer, soup, the classic Beijing duck, etc….