Request for Bardic Help

  • bungie78
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 13, 2014
      Greetings,  I have been instructed to perform a bardic piece in the very near future but I have a request of the great hive mind.  I am thinking of telling the story of the "Tea Master and the Samurai" but I am having trouble with my documentation.  I can find several variations of the story but no dates or sources.  Here is the variation I am most familiar with: www.storynory.com/2011/03/27/the-samurai-and-the-tea-master/.  If anyone has any information about it's origin or ideas of other places I can search, please let me know.

      Thank you and in service

      HL Morikawa Kenji Katashigie
      (aka Kenji of TP)
    • kaythiarain
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 13, 2014
        Greetings Kenji!
        I am Helena Panier. My interest lies in storytelling of many cultures, including Japanese.

        There is, to current knowledge, not Alot of documentation on Asian storytelling. My greatest resource is Sacred-texts.org
        You may have to rummage through a bit. If you are interested in more I would like to talk to you about it. I have a great Japanese story about snow rabbits you might like.

        But as far as the samurai and the tea master. I believe it is 1800s. But that doesn't mean you can't tell it. Grimes fairytale are not in period buy we still tell them.

        My best advise is to look for.childrens books. Fairy tales and mythos have been kept in that genre for some time now.

        If you do find a good source please keep us informed. I know that I am always looking and collecting stories from the strangest places.

        YIS,
        Helena Panier

        Sent by Sprint from my Samsung Galaxy NoteĀ® II

        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 13, 2014
          Greetings.
          For those of you looking for a source in English of period Japanese tales, I highly recommend _Japanese Tales_ edited and translated by Royall Tyler. The tales are almost all from period sources; all the sources are cited in the back of the book. Many of the tales are from 13th century collections.

          Japanese Tales (Pantheon fairy tale & folklore library)

          -Ki no Izumi