Re: [SCA-JML] Was (Re: here's an idea....) Asian events.

    Message 1 of 22 , Jan 2 4:29 PM
      Melissa Hoy wrote:

      > Question. I am in the process of making camp curtains, I believe the word is
      > jinmaku, for Estrella. I have no experience with these lovely creations, but
      > I do have a lot of experience with Atenveldtian wind. Any ideas how to keep
      > my jinmaku from becoming kites?

      Traditionally, most jinmaku were made from loom-widths of fabric. That is, long
      ribbons about 14" wide and some 18 feet long. As these ribbons were pieced
      together, sections about 10" long were left unsewn every several feet. These
      allowed wind to go through. (And people to peek in. There's actually an
      etiquette rule about which "height level" of "window" you can look through
      depending on your rank.)

      This wasn't a hard and fast rule. Some were sewn tightly closed and tried to
      make the camp sail away.

      > And for that matter, how to keep them upright? You can't dig post-holes for
      > the uprights, so we considered cutting a steel pipe on an angle as sort of a
      > portable hole. Problem with this is those nasty sharp edges.

      Japanese jinmaku supports were made with about a foot of spike that goes into
      the ground. You can get by with using portable holes. That's what I always did,
      although I'm looking to have someone make me some real jinmaku supports of
      metal, with the proper little hook near the top to hold the rope....

      Effingham
    • Ron Martino
      Message 2 of 22 , Jan 3 12:44 PM
        > On a side note, Ogami-sama is creating an SCA legal Japanese archery group
        > with SCA combat legal yumi. This could be fun indeed!
        >
        > Bun-ami

        Ogami-dono, would you send me information? I would very much like to
        make such a weapon and missiles.

        Yumitori
        --

        yumitori(AT)montana(DOT)com
        Message 3 of 22 , Jan 3 5:35 PM
          --- In sca-jml@egroups.com, Ron Martino <yumitori@m...> wrote:

          > > On a side note, Ogami-sama is creating an SCA legal Japanese
          archery group
          > > with SCA combat legal yumi. This could be fun indeed!
          > >
          > > Bun-ami
          >
          > Ogami-dono, would you send me information? I would very much
          like to
          > make such a weapon and missiles.
          >
          > Yumitori

          Sure. We're getting the bows from Yumi (located near Toronto) who
          sells every Pennsic. He's difficult to get hold of, so one of my
          retainers who lives near there goes to his shop now and then to check
          on his progress.
          Each Kingdom has different regulations about what is legal for both
          bows and arrows. You'll need to check with the Earl Marshall of your
          kingdom to find out what they are. Here in AEthelmearc, the rule is
          a maximum of a 30 lb. draw with a 28" arrow. The shafts have to be
          fiberglass which have been wrapped with strapping tape. The heads
          can be either Balder Blunts (about US$2.00 each) or can be made from
          ultra-high molecular density (UHMD) plastic which is turned down on a
          lathe to the correct shape. Each arrow must be distintively marked
          to identify the owner.
          My squires and I spent a day doing field tests with combat archery
          and found that it can be very effective. A lone archer is okay, but
          has limited effectiveness. Hence, we are currently assembling a unit
          (hopefully of at least 12 people) under a commander. This unit will
          be coordinated with the spear and katana samurai to keep the archers
          alive until they have spent their arrows. (Of course, being the
          loonies we are, we also want to use our taiko drummers and conch horn
          blowers to help time the fusillades.)
          We're also doing research into making arrows tht whistle for maximum
          psychological effect. (I thought I'd throw that in, just in case
          you're not drooling yet.)
        • michael A
          Message 4 of 22 , Jan 3 9:37 PM
            --- OgamiAkira@... wrote:
            > --- In sca-jml@egroups.com, Ron Martino
            > <yumitori@m...> wrote:
            > >
            > > > On a side note, Ogami-sama is creating an SCA
            > legal Japanese
            > archery group
            > > > with SCA combat legal yumi. This could be fun
            > indeed!
            > > >
            > > > Bun-ami
            > >
            > > Ogami-dono, would you send me information? I
            > would very much
            > like to
            > > make such a weapon and missiles.
            > >
            > > Yumitori
            >
            > Sure. We're getting the bows from Yumi (located
            > near Toronto) who
            > sells every Pennsic. He's difficult to get hold of,
            > so one of my
            > retainers who lives near there goes to his shop now
            > and then to check
            > on his progress.
            > Each Kingdom has different regulations about what is
            > legal for both
            > bows and arrows. You'll need to check with the Earl
            > Marshall of your
            > kingdom to find out what they are. Here in
            > AEthelmearc, the rule is
            > a maximum of a 30 lb. draw with a 28" arrow. The
            > shafts have to be
            > fiberglass which have been wrapped with strapping
            > tape. The heads
            > can be either Balder Blunts (about US$2.00 each) or
            > can be made from
            > ultra-high molecular density (UHMD) plastic which is
            > turned down on a
            > lathe to the correct shape. Each arrow must be
            > distintively marked
            > to identify the owner.
            > My squires and I spent a day doing field tests with
            > combat archery
            > and found that it can be very effective. A lone
            > archer is okay, but
            > has limited effectiveness. Hence, we are currently
            > assembling a unit
            > (hopefully of at least 12 people) under a commander.
            > This unit will
            > be coordinated with the spear and katana samurai to
            > keep the archers
            > alive until they have spent their arrows. (Of
            > course, being the
            > loonies we are, we also want to use our taiko
            > drummers and conch horn
            > blowers to help time the fusillades.)
            > We're also doing research into making arrows tht
            > whistle for maximum
            > psychological effect. (I thought I'd throw that in,
            > just in case
            > you're not drooling yet.)

            In case your interested kuji-dono has created just
            such arrows. They work quite nicely. People duck and
            cover up across the entire area in a small melee. Plus
            there is that ocasional person who turns their head to
            see what the sound is and catches an arrow right in
            the face plate. Its a most wonderful playtoy.

            The whistles were added to the midrealm style tennis
            ball and golf tube arrow, though it could easily be
            adapted to other styles. We used the rubberish
            whistles that came from a toy...i think it was called
            "the howler"or "the vortex". Do you remeber the name
            kuji? Any ways it was those small footballs with fins
            attached. I still have a few somewhere not in arrows.
            It worked well,suficiently loud, and its soft and
            safe. I never made but a couple of them, so i didnt
            try to find a mass source.
            As i said though i do have a couple spare origonals i
            might be able to scare up.

            --Kiyohara

            http://photos.yahoo.com/