Re: ...may i please have another?

  • Ogami Itto
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 2, 2001
      > Also, another little interesting kyuudou fact for those who didn't
      already
      > know: in Japanese archery (kyuudou) the bow actually rotates in
      your hand
      > as you fire the arrow. It was explained to me that this helps the
      arrow
      > to fly in a straight path, since the string is always behind the
      arrow.
      > On a Welsh-style longbow the arrow apparently has to flex, bending
      > around the bow as it launches into the air.
      >
      > This little rotation in the yumi also helps to prevent a lot of the
      > string-burn on your arm I noticed, too.
      >
      > -Ii Saburou, who would like to take up the yumi again...

      IIRC, the rotation of the bow was something that came about after the
      bow had ceased to be a useful instrument of war. (Please correct me
      if I am remembering this incorrectly, Hirazumi-tono!) I believe that
      after the battle of Nagashino (sp?), the teppo [musket] pretty well
      supplanted the bow, and archery became an art form rather than a
      useful martial practice. Again, if I am remembering everything
      correctly (someone, anyone, please correct me if I am wrong!), the
      bow didn't turn in the hand in period, largely because that increased
      the time between shots of the bow.

      ~Takewara Yoshinobu