RASHOMON

  • richard johnson
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 23, 2013
      Rashomon, by Akira Kurosawa in one the the worlds top movies.. ever!
      It is so good that almost every TV show uses the idea at least once
      during their run.

      My copy is so old it was one of the first DVDs in English, so it was
      in Japanese translated into Chinese. Then from Chinese into
      Malaysian. Then from Malaysian into English.
      Obviously there are problems as the translators got bored and in the
      beginning, tried to do a decent translation but as the movie
      progresses, they made briefer translations until Toshiro Mifune would
      make this long speech and the subtitles would say "kill!"

      Since Rashomon is also an excellent teaching tool on observation and
      perceptions and why you should never listen to only one side of a
      divorce<g>.

      note that I am Irish so rambled a lot before I get to the point... which is..

      I want a newer and better copy of Rashomon and am thinking of the
      Criterion edition.
      Does anyone have an opinion on a better version? and why?

      then from

      --
      Rick Johnson
      http://Rick-Johnson.webs.com

          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 23, 2013
            Criterion currently has it in two editions. The "Essential Art House" version is less expensive than the special edition, which has features you may or may not find of interest.
            http://www.criterion.com/films/307-rashomon

            I have the EAH version. I will say that they did a terrific job with the special edition of "Seven Samurai," including new subtitle translations.

            Saionji no She's Wearing My Hat!
          • James Eckman
            Message 5 of 8 , Oct 24, 2013
              > Posted by: "richard johnson"
              >
              > Rashomon, by Akira Kurosawa in one the the worlds top movies.. ever!
              Agreed, shown in film classes as well.
              > My copy is so old it was one of the first DVDs in English, so it was
              > in Japanese translated into Chinese. Then from Chinese into
              > Malaysian. Then from Malaysian into English.
              ROTFL. I have some that the subtitles are auto-translated from Mandarin,
              needless to say these are close to useless. You can get an entire
              Japanese TV series though for $8 or less, so it's a good reason to
              improve your Japanese.
              > I want a newer and better copy of Rashomon and am thinking of the
              > Criterion edition.
              > Does anyone have an opinion on a better version? and why?

              That may be your only easily accessible choice if you want decent
              subtitles. There is a blue ray version now.

              Jim
            • James Eckman
              Message 6 of 8 , Oct 24, 2013
                > Posted by: "Slick"
                >
                > The Criterion Collection is a fantastic collection. I would highly
                > recommend any film in it, personally.
                You've never watched the Japanese film "House" .... ;)

                Jim
                Message 7 of 8 , Oct 24, 2013

                  Greetings from Solveig! Generally speaking, the Criterion Collection is the gold standard for classic movies. They tend to have the best video transfers, the best subtitles, the best added features, &c. I believe that they now have all of Kurosawa's work on DVD.

                • LJonthebay
                  Message 8 of 8 , Oct 24, 2013
                    > Greetings from Solveig! Generally speaking, the Criterion Collection is the gold standard for classic movies. They tend to have the best video transfers, the best subtitles, the best added features, &c. I believe that they now have all of Kurosawa's work on DVD.

                    They've also been releasing works by other Japanese directors for years. (I'm a big fan of Kenji Mizoguchi's sensitive depictions of women when I want a good cry.)

                    http://www.criterion.com/library/expanded_view?b=Criterion&c=Japan&m=dvd&p=1&pp=25 lists 71 results. Give it a look, you might find something else you need to rent or own!

                    Saionji no Hana