Re: Jewelry

  • LJonthebay
    Message 1 of 65 , Oct 2, 2013
      --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, Sakura Takeda <takedasakura@...> wrote:

      > Are there any types of jewelry that were period in Japan for the Azuchi–Momoyama period?

      Yes, it's called fabric.

      The Japanese did some jewelry in their pre-history from what we can see on haniwa figures. They also adopted some Chinese styles in the Nara periods, but then it goes away. (Think about how lost jewelry would get against Heian brocades. You'd never see it again.)

      When Chinese influences come back in the 17th century, you'll start to see elaborate hair ornaments, but that's not what I would consider "jewelry." Even today, when a formal occasion demands kimono, you will see little or no jewelry on traditionalists.

      Nenju or prayer beads might have been carried, but I don't really think of that as jewelry.

      Sorry not to have better news.

      Saionji no Hana, West Kingdom
    • LJonthebay
      Message 65 of 65 , Oct 3, 2013
        --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, Sakura Takeda <takedasakura@...> wrote:

        > Thanks for the response. I honestly thought that was the answer, I just wanted to make 100% sure since my time frame was so late period. I keep getting really lovely hand made beads or (will make you a hat) type prizes from A&S competitions which I am very pleased and grateful to receive, but I can't find anything to use them for.

        I know. I just regifted a bunch of feastware I won at a tourney. I still have to find a taker for the ginormous men's rapier gloves I also won.

        You could use the beads for a nenju.

        Saionji no Hana, West Kingdom