Blue Kasane?

  • m_martin85
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 27, 2013
      I've seen this kasane a couple of time online, but I can't seem to find it in any of the kasane lists or books.http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-_RB9gW3kpsc/UjNIBs5syUI/AAAAAAAAGpo/xGT70Tkk_SY/s1600/7d460873b7c34624745f0a01772c68fd.jpgThere is a kasane board on Pinterest that calls it "hanada iro no nioi", but that's the only place I've ever seen it called anything, and I think it's probably an extraction based on other kasane. I've never even seen blue mentioned in any kasane before, though I have seen some blue uwagi in the Kyoto Costume Museums displays. Was blue used at all in period? Is this a real kasane, or is it a modern invention?
    • m_martin85
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 27, 2013
        Blah, sorry for the bad formatting. I posted from my phone, and it seems it had to chew on it before actually sending the message.
      • setsucat
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 27, 2013
          The source for that Pintesrest board is linked to http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=ja&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.maroon.dti.ne.jp%2Ftoki%2Fgenji-rika.html&anno=2

          It is the source.  I can't read Japanese too well, but it seems to be listed as the clothing of a young(!) woman...  I've only seen maroon kosode, like her lowest layer, so far on young unmarried women- perhaps, like hosonaga, it's more of a young-girl-tween thing?  which could explain how rare it is...?

          On the main page of the site, they mention that a museum did the show and that the website owner herself isn't sure what that kasane's name is!  she begs for an email if anyone can figure it out:
          http://translate.google.com/translate?sl=ja&tl=en&js=n&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.maroon.dti.ne.jp%2Ftoki%2Fgenji.html
          (I know, I know- Google Translate is the pits.  But you can still get the rough gist of it.)

          Maybe it's just a shiro nadeshiko they messed up on. :x

          I'd be curious to know what they dyed it with.

          Hanada-iro bothers me...  Unless you can get some pretty rare Japanese sources, though, I don't think you can find documentation: I have something like 3 or 4 books with kasane no irome mentioned (some of which have kasane none of the other books have) but *none* of them mention hanada-iro...  Also, the style doesn't even look that nioi-like to me, compared to other nioi sets...  I have this sneaking concern that it's actually an oddly-dyed nadeshiko variant that nobody labelled... :x  I'd count it OUT if you need documentation, unless you're willing to spend hours and hours trying to find it...

          ---In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, <sca-jml@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

          I've seen this kasane a couple of time online, but I can't seem to find it in any of the kasane lists or books.http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-_RB9gW3kpsc/UjNIBs5syUI/AAAAAAAAGpo/xGT70Tkk_SY/s1600/7d460873b7c34624745f0a01772c68fd.jpgThere is a kasane board on Pinterest that calls it "hanada iro no nioi", but that's the only place I've ever seen it called anything, and I think it's probably an extraction based on other kasane. I've never even seen blue mentioned in any kasane before, though I have seen some blue uwagi in the Kyoto Costume Museums displays. Was blue used at all in period? Is this a real kasane, or is it a modern invention?
        • LJonthebay
          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 27, 2013
            I don't recall ever having seen a blue kasane before. I'll try to remember to have a look at my books when I get home.

            Saionji no Hana