More fun stuff....

  • Joshua Badgley
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 2, 2001
      Okay, taking some suggestions I revised the other questions and have added
      some true false as well. I am interested in all comments, especially
      those berating me for not knowing what I am talking about, because really
      I don't. I figure that I might actually learn something this way, though,
      and I'll force myself to learn the right answers.

      Anyway, for those who are interested, here are 20 true/false questions I
      hope are easy (and correct!)

      True or False
      1. Prince Shotoku is well-known for his acceptance of the Christian faith.

      2. Maeda Toshiie was famous for his use of shinobi.

      3. Uesugi Kenshin led a revolt against his own brother and became the
      ruler of Echigo.

      4. Takeda Shingen had a woman warrior as a mistress.

      5. The naginata was only used by women.

      6. The katana was developed because of the great effectiveness of the
      nodachi in battle.

      7. Buddhist monastaries would often fight with one another, using their
      warrior monk disciples.

      8. Japan is a patriarchal society so there has never been a ruling
      empress.

      9. The Japanese used the matchlock rifle to great effectiveness during the
      Warring States Period.

      10. Christianity was slow to catch on in Japan, since the samurai already
      had a firm belief in Zen Buddhism.

      11. Tokugawa Ieyasu was a great friend to the Buddhist Ikkyou sect.

      12. The Tale of Genji was written by a man about his own exploits.

      13. The 'kamikaze,' or 'divine wind,' saved Japan from Mongol invasion.

      14. Arrows were often fired before a battle to attract the attention of
      the gods.

      15. Hakama were only worn in the winter, when it was cold.

      16. The modern karate gi is nearly unchanged from the clothes of the
      samurai.

      17. The Tokugawa Shogunate froze all the traditions of the Sengoku Jidai,
      so there was very little change between 1600 and the 19th Century.

      18. After unifying Japan, Toyotomi attempted to conquer China.

      19. The western ideas, concepts, and objects brought by the Portugese were
      spurned by most Japanese lords.

      20. Japan's feeling of superiority kept the Japanese people from exploring
      beyond China.

      ANSWERS!

      1. False. Christianity did not truly make headway in Japan until the
      15th Century.
      2. True. Maeda Toshiie controlled what is now the Ishikawa province and
      was well known for his use of shinobi, known to many today as ninja.
      3. True. Kenshin swore that if he defeated his brother he would do all
      he could to protect Echigo.
      *4. True. Takeda Shingen is believed to have had a mistress, named Yae,
      who led a band of other warrior women to battle.
      5. False. The naginata was used by many warriors on the field of battle.
      It only became a 'woman's weapon' in the sense that women were encouraged
      to learn the naginata to defend themselves in case of an attack.
      6. False. The nodachi, though an impressive weapon, was not easily used.
      It lacked some of the usefulness of European great sword and was often
      relegated to a specialty status. When the Mongols invaded Japan, the
      usefulness of a shorter sword for close combat became evident. The curve
      is believed to have made it a better weapon from horseback.
      7. True. Warrior monks would often fight each other in the streets of
      the capital, or use their military and religious power to influence
      politics. This was especially true during the Gempei wars.
      8. False. There have been quite a few empresses who have held the reigns
      of power by their own right.
      9. True. There were also several innovations made to the matchlock rifle
      and rifle combat. First, the Japanese eventually designed a wax-paper
      cover for the rifle to keep the powder dry. Second, they devised a method
      of tying a string to the rifle, which would be raised and aimed. The
      string would be tied off at a point so that even in the dark the rifle
      could be pointed at a given point.
      10. False. Christianity caught on quickly in Japan and found many
      converts. The rate at which it gained popularity was alarming to many,
      who viewed Christianity as a threat.
      11. False. Tokugawa Ieyasu spent a great deal of time putting down Ikkyou
      rebellions.
      12. False. The author of the Tale of Genji was a woman: Murasaki-shikibu
      13. True. The Japanese were unprepared for the Mongols, but a typhoon
      arose and swamped most of the Mongol's ships.
      14. True. Special arrowheads were made that would create a whistling
      sound as they flew. It was hoped that the gods would be attracted to the
      sound and thus notice the exploits that happened on the field that day.

      15. False. Hakama were worn by the kuge and buke year-round; to not wear
      hakama would be like not wearing pants in more modern society. Peasants
      and commoners had trousers more similar to western dress, and would often
      be found working in the heat in nothing more than a fundoshi--a loincloth.

      16. False. The karate gi, like karate, is relatively modern. It is
      nothing like pre-17th Century Japanese clothing.

      17. False. There was a tremendous amount of change in clothing, social
      order, and other areas of Japan during the Tokugawa Shogunate. However,
      much of the change was early and became codified by the Tokugawa shoguns.

      18. True. Toyotomi sent an army to Korea with the purpose of eventually
      challenging China. China eventually met the army and pushed the Japanese
      back. The damage to Korea was devestating and is the source of much of
      the tension between Japan and Korea into modern times.

      19. False. Many Japanese lords were fascinated by the technology the
      Portugese brought with them, and sought to employ what they could.
      Cannons and rifles were only two of the advances that were used to great
      effectiveness. Western armour was also a fad among some lords.

      20. False. Japanese have been shown to have traveled at least as far as
      India before the arrival of the Portugese. A Japanese delegation was sent
      to Rome when Christianity arrived.
    • Kass McGann
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 2, 2001
        > Okay, taking some suggestions I revised the other questions and
        have added
        > some true false as well. I am interested in all comments,
        especially
        > those berating me for not knowing what I am talking about, because
        really
        > I don't. I figure that I might actually learn something this way,
        though,
        > and I'll force myself to learn the right answers.
        >
        > Anyway, for those who are interested, here are 20 true/false
        questions I
        > hope are easy (and correct!)

        Beautiful, Ii-dono! I especially love the one about karate gi.
        <snicker>

        How about this one: The samurai believe that a katana once drawn
        cannot be sheathed again until it has drawn blood.

        There are far too many people who believe this kind of nonsense and I
        think that having a "test" on a website is a good way for them to
        learn about their incorrect preconceptions without unduly embarassing
        themselves.

        Fujiwara no Aoi
      • GrimShieldsson
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 2, 2001
          I would also, if I may, suggest that sources be cited with the answers.  This will help to alleviate many of the more contentious martial artists who seem to purvey some of this malarkey with great gusto.

          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 2, 2001
            Joshua Badgley wrote:

            > 2. Maeda Toshiie was famous for his use of shinobi.

            If you're "famous" for using shinobi, something's gone horribly wrong. <G>

            > 17. The Tokugawa Shogunate froze all the traditions of the Sengoku Jidai,
            > so there was very little change between 1600 and the 19th Century.

            I'm looking forward to seeing the answer -- and rationale -- for this one.
            <G>

            > 19. The western ideas, concepts, and objects brought by the Portugese were
            > spurned by most Japanese lords.

            This one depends a lot on what you consider "most" and what
            ideas/concepts/objects are under discussion...