Re: [SCA-JML] Re: Help with name documentation

    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 25, 2013

      Greetings from Solveig! One "step from period practice" is allowed, but having two or more is grounds for return. This is the case if you take the "core style" approach to things. The torii gate is frequently allowed, but is considered a step from period practice. There is no guarantee that items which are a step from period practice will be allowed in the future, although they generally will be. For some reason, the College of Arms has been returning the tomoe. I think that it gets reamed for being a design instead of an artifact. I am confident that Europeans (specifically Iberians) encountered tomoe prior to 1601. On the other hand, individually attested patterns can break all of the style rules for core style, but must be documented to a single culture.

      So, for example, the Japanese butterfly has been returned in the past on the grounds that it has "triune aspect". However, it should be possible to pass the things as an "individually attested pattern" as I can document them in Japanese armory prior to 1601. Note. As an individually attested pattern, you will most likely not be able to charge the wings with cherry blossoms as I am pretty sure that the Japanese were not doing that. It doesn't matter that you can do things like that in core style when you are following the individually attested pattern path.