Moderator announcement

  • LJonthebay
    Message 1 of 27 , Sep 12, 2013
      I have just been forced to delete a post from the list and issue a warning to the poster.

      If you cannot keep things civil, you will be placed on moderated status. If you are repeatedly and deliberately obnoxious, you will be removed from the group. There's a difference between spirited intellectual debate and a flame war.

      I suggest everyone calm down and have a cup of tea.

      Saionji no Hana, Pacific Timezone Moderator

      > Moderator note: Please keep your posts to one another polite. It's all too easy for internet communication to be misread and taken offense at because tone of voice and body language are missing.
    • Sakura Takeda
      Message 2 of 27 , Sep 12, 2013
        Thank you again for the pronunciation Solveig. You have been a lot of help.

        Japanese vowels sound like Spanish vowels:
        A as in the A in swat or the AU in caught
        I as in the E in beet or sweet
        U as in the U in lute or the OO in boot
        E as in the E in bet or met
        O as in the O in boat or more

        Between Solveig's help and finally finding some audio of a Japanese person pronouncing Suke, I think I have made my decision to go with Sakurai Sukeko as it is as close to keeping Sakura in the name as I seem to be able to do.

        So, now, what I want to know is what is the easiest way to document the name of an existing historical figure? I'm only going to use the given name, not the entire name. I found the name listed twice on the list of nyoin on wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Nyoin

        Inbu-mon In (殷富門院): Imperial Princess Sukeko (亮子内親王) (1147-1216) - mother-in-law(准母) of Emperor Antoku and Emperor Go-Toba
        and
        Kōhan-mon In (光範門院): Fujiwara no Sukeko (藤原資子) (1384-1440) - consort of Emperor Go-Komatsu (mother of Emperor Shōkō)

        I don't think I can use wikipedia as a source and I have poured over my local library with no success on finding mentions of these figures in books. So, can anyone help me out on a way to document to either document these figures or the name itself?

        Thanks again everyone

        _________
        Takeda Sakura
        Webminister: Crimson River

      • Sakura Takeda
        Message 3 of 27 , Sep 12, 2013
          I got a reply on Facebook on documenting my name, so I wanted to say never mind on my last e-mail. Thanks very much to Saionji no Hana for the assist.

          _________
          Takeda Sakura
          Webminister: Crimson River

        • Ishiyama Gen'tarou Yori'ie
          Message 4 of 27 , Sep 13, 2013
            Takeda Sakura wrote:
            > Between Solveig's help and finally finding some audio of a Japanese
            > person pronouncing Suke, I think I have made my decision to go with
            > Sakurai Sukeko as it is as close to keeping Sakura in the name as I
            > seem to be able to do.

            Also keep in mind that nicknames are wonderful things (even in period),
            and that saying "...but my friends call me Sakura" is charming.

            --
            THL Ishiyama Gen'tarou Yori'ie
            (mka: Elliott C. Evans)
            Message 5 of 27 , Sep 13, 2013

              Yeah, everyone calls me Saki because it's easier to remember. ;-)

              Lord Sakurái no Jirou Takéo
              Kingdom of Calontir
              Barony of Forgotten Sea
              Canton of Aston Tor
              Champagne Players

              Message 6 of 27 , Sep 13, 2013
                --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, Sakura Takeda <takedasakura@...> wrote:

                > I got a reply on Facebook on documenting my name, so I wanted to say never mind on my last e-mail. Thanks very much to Saionji no Hana for the assist.

                You're welcome. (In case anyone cares, I provided page numbers from NCMJ.)

                Saionji no Hana, West Kingdom
              • rjb@ns.sympatico.ca
                Message 7 of 27 , Sep 13, 2013
                  "wow I suppose you beat your kids and kick you dogs too for helping and the dog getting in the way
                  slap you self and commit self infelicted death over dishonor to you ancestorys"

                  Really, was THAT necessary? I can understand being upset because people took what you said the wrong way. But accusing people of child abuse and telling them to kill themselves is WAY over the line. It's not okay at all.

                  -Aimee aka Hirokawa No Tsuru
                  Message 8 of 27 , Sep 13, 2013

                    So, now, what I want to know is what is the easiest way to document the name of an existing historical figure? I'm only going to use the given name, not the entire name. I found the name listed twice on the list of nyoin on wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Nyoin

                    Inbu-mon In (殷富門院): Imperial Princess Sukeko (亮子内親王) (1147-1216) - mother-in-law(准母) of Emperor Antoku and Emperor Go-Toba
                    and
                    Kōhan-mon In (光範門院): Fujiwara no Sukeko (藤原資子) (1384-1440) - consort of Emperor Go-Komatsu (mother of Emperor Shōkō)

                    Unfortunately, I do not believe that the College of Arms accepts Wikipedia articles. Fortunately, Sukeko 資子 appears in NCMJ. So you cite NCMJ as follows:

                    Sakurai 桜井 (1482) NCMJ Rev Ed pg. 325
                    Sukeko 資子 (1384) NCMJ Rev Ed pg. 305

                    NCMJ is on the no photocopy list so pretty much all you need to do is cite the entries from NCMJ and note that Sakurai is a family name and Sukeko is a given name.

                    Note. Sakura'i also appears in the table of ancient uji on page 396 or NCMJ Rev. Ed. So it is a very distinguished family.

                      Message 10 of 27 , Sep 13, 2013
                        The poster has been put on moderated status and given a warning.

                        Saionji no Hana, Pacific Time Zone Moderator
                        Message 11 of 27 , Mar 2
                          An abbreviated list of Azuchi-Momoya Feminine Given Names found in 『日本の女性名』by 角田 文衞 ISBN 4336047456 :

                          Acha 阿茶
                          Achacha 阿茶茶
                          Achao 阿茶阿
                          Ago あ五