Re: Given name

  • Sakura Takeda
    Message 1 of 27 , Sep 9, 2013
      Are you sure you didn't submit Sakurai which is a family name? If you sent in Takeda Sakura, your name never made it out of kingdom commentary as it does not show up on Oscar.

      I submitted Takeda Sakura, I wanted to use Sakura as a given name based on the idea of naming your daughter after the cherry blossom flower. The exact response was "This Name Submission has several issues. There is no documentation supporting the use of the spelling <Sakura>. Both Name elements <Sakura> and <Takeda> are family names. In this case, you are using 2 family names without a given name."

      There is not much available online for period Japanese names. I suppose I could create a short list of possible female names by extracting them from Nihon no Joseimei Tsunoda Bunei, but I would need a definite period of interest and an idea of what type of persona you are interested in.

      You are so kind to offer, I would appreciate that greatly! Anything you could find would be amazing. I am constantly asked how to find female Japanese names so I would love to be able to pass along a list to others as well as use for myself. I have special interest in the Azuchi–Momoyama period, but Muromachi would be ok too. My persona is Samurai class, married, Tōgei-ka (ceramicist/pottery maker, is that the right way to say that?)

      The book in question is rather long. Can you read Japanese? If so, you may be able to borrow a copy of the book through interlibrary loan. There are lots of lists of names in it.
      No, I am afraid not. I wish I could.

      _________

      Takeda Sakura
      Webminister: Crimson River

      Message 2 of 27 , Sep 10, 2013
        An abbreviated list of Azuchi-Momoya Feminine Given Names:

        Akaka あかか
        Ako 阿子
        Akoko あここ
        Ago あ五
        Agogo あ五五
        Acha 阿茶
        Achao 阿茶阿
        Achacha 阿茶茶
        Ayamachi あやまち
        Ayaya あやや
        Ichiya いちや
        Ichiyako いちや子
        Itoito いといと
        Inaka いなか
        Uba うば
        Kaka かか
        Kurikaka くりかか
        Koko ここ
        Kogou こ五う
        Gomoji 五もじ
        Koya こや
        Sako さこ
        Sashi さし
        Shiyaa しやあ
        Chii ちいい
        Chibo ちぼ
        Chima ちま
        Chiyaa ちやあ
        Chiyago ちやご
        Chacha 茶々
        Chiyobo ちよぼ
        Yaya やや
        Koyaya こやや
        Yayacha やや茶
        Yayame 彌々女

        Ai あい
        Aya あや
        Ia いあ
        Ishi 石
        Ishikame 石か女
        Ichi 市
        Ito いと
        Koito こいと
        Itoko いと子
        Ima いま
        Ima'aki いまあき
        Iya いや
        Uta うた
        Kame 龜
        Kii きい
        Kiku 菊
        Kita 北
        Kiyaku きやく
        Kuri くり
        Kou こう
        Tau たう
        Tama 玉
        Chiyo 千代
        Tsuru 鶴
        Toku 徳
        Tomo とも
        Natsu 夏
        Nishi 西
        Nene 禰々
        Haru 春
        Higashi 東
        Fuku 福
        Furu 振
        Matsu 松
        Muku むく
        Mume 梅
        夜叉千
        夜叉
        Riri 里々

          Message 4 of 27 , Sep 10, 2013
            I'm a bit late to the converstation but I was wondering if Solveig
            could share the ISBN of "Nihon no Joseimei Tsunoda Bunei" and/or a
            place were I might buy a copy for my shelf.

            Morishima

            Message 5 of 27 , Sep 10, 2013

              I'm a bit late to the converstation but I was wondering if Solveig
              could share the ISBN of "Nihon no Joseimei Tsunoda Bunei" and/or a
              place were I might buy a copy for my shelf.

              The book is not for the fainthearted. Regardless, the ISBN: 4336047456
              I bought my copy from amazon.co.jp which currently has one copy in stock for 8400 yen plus shipping.
              Tsunoda Bun'ei is the author.

            • sara_seigel
              Message 6 of 27 , Sep 10, 2013
                I'm not faint hearted.... slightly mad yes, but not faint hearted!

                Thank you for the information.

                Morishima

                > Noble Cousin!
                >
                > Greetings from Solveig!
                >
                >> I'm a bit late to the converstation but I was wondering if Solveig
                >> could share the ISBN of "Nihon no Joseimei Tsunoda Bunei" and/or a
                >> place were I might buy a copy for my shelf.
                >

                > The book is not for the fainthearted. Regardless, the ISBN: 4336047456
                > I bought my copy from amazon.co.jp which currently has one copy in stock for
                > 8400 yen plus shipping.
                > Tsunoda Bun'ei is the author.
                >
                > Your Humble Servant
                > Solveig Throndardottir
                > Amateur Scholar

              • Sakura Takeda
                Message 7 of 27 , Sep 11, 2013
                  Thank you so much for the list of names, they got me started in the right direction. So, they are greatly appreciated! I have some more questions. How would one pronounce: The given names Suke / Sukeko, Tashi and the surname Asakura? I ran across historical figures with these names, but can't find Japanese pronunciations for them.

                  Also, can anyone help me document the name Ryûzô (Ryuzo) for my husband. We used http://www.sengokudaimyo.com/miscellany/names.html to find it, but it was returned saying "Sengokudaimyo is not sufficient documentation by itself as there are no dates to given to prove the given name was used during our time." Any help there would be fantastic.

                  Thank you again for the help!
                  _________
                  Takeda Sakura
                  Webminister: Crimson River
                  Message 8 of 27 , Sep 11, 2013

                    Thank you so much for the list of names, they got me started in the right direction. So, they are greatly appreciated! I have some more questions. How would one pronounce: The given names Suke / Sukeko, Tashi and the surname Asakura?  I ran across historical figures with these names, but can't find Japanese pronunciations for them.

                    Japanese vowels sound like Spanish vowels:
                    A as in the A in swat or the AU in caught
                    I as in the E in beet or sweet
                    U as in the U in lute or the OO in boot
                    E as in the E in bet  or met
                    O as in the O in boat or more

                    Japanese consonants sound pretty much like English consonants except for R which sounds midway between an L and an R.

                    Also, can anyone help me document the name Ryûzô (Ryuzo) for my husband. We used http://www.sengokudaimyo.com/miscellany/names.html to find it, but it was returned saying "Sengokudaimyo is not sufficient documentation by itself as there are no dates to given to prove the given name was used during our time." Any help there would be fantastic.

                    Ryūzō sounds modern.

                  • russ register
                    Message 9 of 27 , Sep 11, 2013
                      well I am part japanese and you should ask a japanese I hate hearing sca people buthcering names or not understand what names mean or the back ground or wrong mon for a last name og so bad
                      or I was watching a lady point her chopstick stright up in her rice such a fopa
                      ya thats for the dead
                      huge insult
                      i understand its a longing to be like but please ask a japanese person who follows the old ways and not insut or butchers this is not to harm but help but I have been in sca long time on and off and always haters who HATE CHANGE

                      To: sca-jml@yahoogroups.com

                      Message 10 of 27 , Sep 11, 2013

                        Greetings from Solveig! You realize that Tsunoda Bun'ei 's book is basically a history of Japanese feminine names. It does have tables of names scattered around in it, but they can be difficult to read as some of these names use non-standard kanji without furigana telling you how they are being read. The book is organized chronologically and within chronological sections it is organized by class and name type. The book was originally published as three volumes, but these are collected together for the current edition. I am not sure what you are hoping to do with the book in question, but I wish you luck with it.

                      • russ register
                        Message 11 of 27 , Sep 11, 2013
                          I learn from Natives to see how they pronounce words and then have them help me do it phonetically and thats how I write it down not how they spell it.
                          Like in Russian Priv Yet cog do la. WHo cares how its writing its how they pronounce it and this works with all. You will get the lang down better and might even have natives ask are you a spy no american accent lol its funny when they do this that means you did it correct.
                          please forgive my typing and writing skills. Its the message. I love others learning and try to help. We are here to have FUN hehe

                          Message 12 of 27 , Sep 12, 2013
                            Funny you should say that, Russ Register, because I am of French heritage and it is very insulting and culturally insensitive to me when you write "faux pas" as "fopa". Pehaps you should take your own advice and consult with a French person before appropriating their phrases. Or just be a little more tolerant of people who are doing the best they can with the resources available to them in their attempt to HAVE FUN in this GAME we all love.
                          • Bolline
                            Message 13 of 27 , Sep 12, 2013

                              "longing to be like" you think a lot of your self Russ Register. I butcher a lot of languages and cultures and I can't say I have a longing. Did you bother to explain to the lady about the rice if she is not Japanese than that is not a tradition she follows.

                              99.9 % German and I only speaks a word or two.

                              Kendall

                              Sent from my iPhone

                              On Sep 12, 2013, at 5:25 AM, <pleaserescuecooper@...> wrote:

                              Funny you should say that, Russ Register, because I am of French heritage and it is very insulting and culturally insensitive to me when you write "faux pas" as "fopa". Pehaps you should take your own advice and consult with a French person before appropriating their phrases. Or just be a little more tolerant of people who are doing the best they can with the resources available to them in their attempt to HAVE FUN in this GAME we all love.

                            • LJonthebay
                              Message 14 of 27 , Sep 12, 2013
                                Moderator note: Please keep your posts to one another polite. It's all too easy for internet communication to be misread and taken offense at because tone of voice and body language are missing.

                                Regarding pronunciation, did you know that Google Translate often includes audio so you can hear how a word is pronounced? Just look for the "speaker" icon under the translated word or phrase. http://translate.google.com/

                                I've also picked up a little bit simply from watching Japanese films. I desperately need English subtitles, but I'm at the point where I can usually pick out names from the rest, plus those words I already know.

                                Saionji no Hana, Pacific Timezone Moderator
                              • LJonthebay
                                Message 15 of 27 , Sep 12, 2013
                                  I have just been forced to delete a post from the list and issue a warning to the poster.

                                  If you cannot keep things civil, you will be placed on moderated status. If you are repeatedly and deliberately obnoxious, you will be removed from the group. There's a difference between spirited intellectual debate and a flame war.

                                  I suggest everyone calm down and have a cup of tea.

                                  Message 16 of 27 , Sep 12, 2013
                                    Thank you again for the pronunciation Solveig. You have been a lot of help.

                                    Japanese vowels sound like Spanish vowels:
                                    A as in the A in swat or the AU in caught
                                    I as in the E in beet or sweet
                                    U as in the U in lute or the OO in boot
                                    E as in the E in bet or met
                                    O as in the O in boat or more

                                    Between Solveig's help and finally finding some audio of a Japanese person pronouncing Suke, I think I have made my decision to go with Sakurai Sukeko as it is as close to keeping Sakura in the name as I seem to be able to do.

                                    So, now, what I want to know is what is the easiest way to document the name of an existing historical figure? I'm only going to use the given name, not the entire name. I found the name listed twice on the list of nyoin on wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Nyoin

                                    Inbu-mon In (殷富門院): Imperial Princess Sukeko (亮子内親王) (1147-1216) - mother-in-law(准母) of Emperor Antoku and Emperor Go-Toba
                                    and
                                    Kōhan-mon In (光範門院): Fujiwara no Sukeko (藤原資子) (1384-1440) - consort of Emperor Go-Komatsu (mother of Emperor Shōkō)

                                    I don't think I can use wikipedia as a source and I have poured over my local library with no success on finding mentions of these figures in books. So, can anyone help me out on a way to document to either document these figures or the name itself?

                                    Thanks again everyone

                                    _________
                                    Takeda Sakura
                                    Webminister: Crimson River

                                  • Sakura Takeda
                                    Message 17 of 27 , Sep 12, 2013
                                      I got a reply on Facebook on documenting my name, so I wanted to say never mind on my last e-mail. Thanks very much to Saionji no Hana for the assist.

                                      _________
                                      Takeda Sakura
                                      Webminister: Crimson River

                                    • Ishiyama Gen'tarou Yori'ie
                                      Message 18 of 27 , Sep 13, 2013
                                        Takeda Sakura wrote:
                                        > Between Solveig's help and finally finding some audio of a Japanese
                                        > person pronouncing Suke, I think I have made my decision to go with
                                        > Sakurai Sukeko as it is as close to keeping Sakura in the name as I
                                        > seem to be able to do.

                                        Also keep in mind that nicknames are wonderful things (even in period),
                                        and that saying "...but my friends call me Sakura" is charming.

                                        --
                                        THL Ishiyama Gen'tarou Yori'ie
                                        (mka: Elliott C. Evans)
                                        Message 19 of 27 , Sep 13, 2013

                                          Yeah, everyone calls me Saki because it's easier to remember. ;-)

                                          Lord Sakurái no Jirou Takéo
                                          Kingdom of Calontir
                                          Barony of Forgotten Sea
                                          Canton of Aston Tor
                                          Champagne Players

                                          Message 20 of 27 , Sep 13, 2013
                                            --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, Sakura Takeda <takedasakura@...> wrote:

                                            > I got a reply on Facebook on documenting my name, so I wanted to say never mind on my last e-mail. Thanks very much to Saionji no Hana for the assist.

                                            You're welcome. (In case anyone cares, I provided page numbers from NCMJ.)

                                            Saionji no Hana, West Kingdom
                                          • rjb@ns.sympatico.ca
                                            Message 21 of 27 , Sep 13, 2013
                                              "wow I suppose you beat your kids and kick you dogs too for helping and the dog getting in the way
                                              slap you self and commit self infelicted death over dishonor to you ancestorys"

                                              Really, was THAT necessary? I can understand being upset because people took what you said the wrong way. But accusing people of child abuse and telling them to kill themselves is WAY over the line. It's not okay at all.

                                              -Aimee aka Hirokawa No Tsuru
                                              Message 22 of 27 , Sep 13, 2013

                                                So, now, what I want to know is what is the easiest way to document the name of an existing historical figure? I'm only going to use the given name, not the entire name. I found the name listed twice on the list of nyoin on wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Nyoin

                                                Inbu-mon In (殷富門院): Imperial Princess Sukeko (亮子内親王) (1147-1216) - mother-in-law(准母) of Emperor Antoku and Emperor Go-Toba
                                                and
                                                Kōhan-mon In (光範門院): Fujiwara no Sukeko (藤原資子) (1384-1440) - consort of Emperor Go-Komatsu (mother of Emperor Shōkō)

                                                Unfortunately, I do not believe that the College of Arms accepts Wikipedia articles. Fortunately, Sukeko 資子 appears in NCMJ. So you cite NCMJ as follows:

                                                Sakurai 桜井 (1482) NCMJ Rev Ed pg. 325
                                                Sukeko 資子 (1384) NCMJ Rev Ed pg. 305

                                                NCMJ is on the no photocopy list so pretty much all you need to do is cite the entries from NCMJ and note that Sakurai is a family name and Sukeko is a given name.

                                                Note. Sakura'i also appears in the table of ancient uji on page 396 or NCMJ Rev. Ed. So it is a very distinguished family.

                                                  Message 24 of 27 , Sep 13, 2013
                                                    The poster has been put on moderated status and given a warning.

                                                    Saionji no Hana, Pacific Time Zone Moderator
                                                    Message 25 of 27 , Mar 2, 2014
                                                      An abbreviated list of Azuchi-Momoya Feminine Given Names found in 『日本の女性名』by 角田 文衞 ISBN 4336047456 :

                                                      Acha 阿茶
                                                      Achacha 阿茶茶
                                                      Achao 阿茶阿
                                                      Ago あ五