Fw: MODERATE -- lorik_gryphon@yahoo.com posted to sca-jml

  • L Joseph
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 8, 2013
      Moderator's apology for hitting the wrong button and deleting the original message which follows.

      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 9, 2013

        Greetings from Solveig! What is meant by "assist"? Are they expecting you to run a tea ceremony and be the person making tea? Or are they asking you to be part of the ceremony? Do you folks have the equipment required for making tea in a period manner? I have seen booklets in English published by Midorikai which have somewhat abbreviated instructions on how to conduct a tea ceremony, but I don't know whether they are available at this time. I have similar instructions which are in Japanese (there are lots of photographs).

      • LJonthebay
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 9, 2013
          --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, L Joseph <wodeford@...> wrote:
          > The Good Gentles running Estrella War would like to showcase a Japanese Tea Ceremony at Estrella War XXX in February of next year.

          I have to wonder whatever gave them that idea.

          I have NOT formally studied tea: I can't afford to. I have, however, attended ceremonies in all three of the main traditions and went to a fascinating symposium on tea and tea culture in San Francisco last fall. I also have a friend who has studied tea and insists on giving me bits of her old tea ceremony things, including some excellent books on the matter.

          I will be attending Great Western War in a few weeks as well, camped with the West Kingdom. I can pack along the books I do have and show you some of the tea utensils I have. Perhaps we can figure some things out. I would have no objection to assisting with something at Estrella as long as we proceed with a forthright disclaimer that neither of us have studied tea ceremony formally.

          If you'd like to contact me off list, my email address is wodeford AT yahoo DOT com

          Saionji no Hana, OL, West Kingdom
        • Lorik Gryphon
          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 9, 2013
            Greetings to Solveig! Thank you for responding.
            I am unclear what is meant by "assist"
            A lovely young Lady brought this idea up in the midst of our Crown Tourney. Very little has been planned or even strongly considered.
            Between us we are trying to sort out what is possible.
            I would appreciate any guidance; but I am afraid I cannot read Japanese, dear Lady (though photographs would be greatly appreciated.)

            Humbly,
            Ld Koga

            You're just jealous because the voices talk to me....

            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 9, 2013
              Friends,

              I feel I must express myself further, in way of explanation.
              I do not expect to do this ceremony justice; I understand there are many who learn and practice for years--most of their lives even.
              There are very few Asian personas in my kingdom, and most of them Mongolian.
              It is my hope that this will bring some exposure of Japanese culture to my friends and family in the SCA.
              While I am a rapier fighter of no mean skill, and a passing fair Pursuivant.
              I would be lying if I said I was not more than a little intimidated by this undertaking.

              Your humble servant,
              Koga Takashiro Kagehiro
              Atenveldt

              Message 6 of 8 , Sep 9, 2013
                --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, Lorik Gryphon <lorik_gryphon@...> wrote:

                > Greetings to Solveig! Thank you for responding.
                > I am unclear what is meant by "assist"
                > A lovely young Lady brought this idea up in the midst of our Crown Tourney. Very little has been planned or even strongly considered.

                Ah, it sounds like one of those "Wouldn't it be cool if ______?" ideas.

                I did a class at Estrella on tea history two years ago. Let's definitely try to get together at GWW and talk. We might be able to come up with something workable.

                (In the meantime, I'll try to see whether a friend of mine is attending who has studied tea!)

                Saionji no Hana, OL, West
              • Andrew Wise
                Message 7 of 8 , Sep 10, 2013
                  There are other options as well.  I know that the Japanese Friendship Garden in downtown Phoenix does a monthly Tea Ceremony, we could always contact them and see if they would consider coming out to Estrella and doing a demo for promotion.  I'm not sure if they are the same people who do the Tea Ceremony at Matsuri in February, if not we could always contact them as well.

                  Maybe if we could get them interested we could use Saionji-hime's class notes and have one of them do the actual ceremony.

                  Yagyu Tametomo

                  Atenveldt
                • LJonthebay
                  Message 8 of 8 , Sep 10, 2013
                    --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, Andrew Wise <roninpenguin@...> wrote:

                    > There are other options as well. I know that the Japanese Friendship
                    > Garden in downtown Phoenix does a monthly Tea Ceremony, we could always
                    > contact them and see if they would consider coming out to Estrella and
                    > doing a demo for promotion.

                    Brilliant, Yagyu-dono! I'm not local, so I didn't realize you had a local resource in Phoenix.

                    Saionji no Hana