Re: [SCA-JML] Given name

    Message 1 of 27 , Sep 6, 2013

      I asked back in 2008 (wow, that was longer ago than I thought it was!) if it would make sense to use Sakura as a given female name, after talking it over it seemed appropriate. I submitted my name for review and it was returned saying that Sakura is a family name, not a given name and asking for documentation on the spelling of the name as well. I remember sometime in the last few years someone looking for names for a friend of theirs and was wondering if anyone had found documentation on the name as it would be of great help to me now. If anyone else had any thoughts on where I could look, I would appreciate it!

      On a side note are there any lists of female Japanese names out there other than this one: http://www.panix.com/~gabriel/public-bin/showfinal.cgi/3001.txt ?

      Are you sure you didn't submit Sakurai which is a family name? If you sent in Takeda Sakura, your name never made it out of kingdom commentary as it does not show up on Oscar. There is not much available online for period Japanese names. I suppose I could create a short list of possible female names by extracting them from Nihon no Joseimei Tsunoda Bunei, but I would need a definite period of interest and an idea of what type of persona you are interested in. The book in question is rather long. Can you read Japanese? If so, you may be able to borrow a copy of the book through interlibrary loan. There are lots of lists of names in it.

    • Sakura Takeda
      Message 2 of 27 , Sep 9, 2013
        Are you sure you didn't submit Sakurai which is a family name? If you sent in Takeda Sakura, your name never made it out of kingdom commentary as it does not show up on Oscar.

        I submitted Takeda Sakura, I wanted to use Sakura as a given name based on the idea of naming your daughter after the cherry blossom flower. The exact response was "This Name Submission has several issues. There is no documentation supporting the use of the spelling <Sakura>. Both Name elements <Sakura> and <Takeda> are family names. In this case, you are using 2 family names without a given name."

        There is not much available online for period Japanese names. I suppose I could create a short list of possible female names by extracting them from Nihon no Joseimei Tsunoda Bunei, but I would need a definite period of interest and an idea of what type of persona you are interested in.

        You are so kind to offer, I would appreciate that greatly! Anything you could find would be amazing. I am constantly asked how to find female Japanese names so I would love to be able to pass along a list to others as well as use for myself. I have special interest in the Azuchi–Momoyama period, but Muromachi would be ok too. My persona is Samurai class, married, Tōgei-ka (ceramicist/pottery maker, is that the right way to say that?)

        The book in question is rather long. Can you read Japanese? If so, you may be able to borrow a copy of the book through interlibrary loan. There are lots of lists of names in it.
        No, I am afraid not. I wish I could.

        _________

        Takeda Sakura
        Webminister: Crimson River

        Message 3 of 27 , Sep 10, 2013
          An abbreviated list of Azuchi-Momoya Feminine Given Names:

          Akaka あかか
          Ako 阿子
          Akoko あここ
          Ago あ五
          Agogo あ五五
          Acha 阿茶
          Achao 阿茶阿
          Achacha 阿茶茶
          Ayamachi あやまち
          Ayaya あやや
          Ichiya いちや
          Ichiyako いちや子
          Itoito いといと
          Inaka いなか
          Uba うば
          Kaka かか
          Kurikaka くりかか
          Koko ここ
          Kogou こ五う
          Gomoji 五もじ
          Koya こや
          Sako さこ
          Sashi さし
          Shiyaa しやあ
          Chii ちいい
          Chibo ちぼ
          Chima ちま
          Chiyaa ちやあ
          Chiyago ちやご
          Chacha 茶々
          Chiyobo ちよぼ
          Yaya やや
          Koyaya こやや
          Yayacha やや茶
          Yayame 彌々女

          Ai あい
          Aya あや
          Ia いあ
          Ishi 石
          Ishikame 石か女
          Ichi 市
          Ito いと
          Koito こいと
          Itoko いと子
          Ima いま
          Ima'aki いまあき
          Iya いや
          Uta うた
          Kame 龜
          Kii きい
          Kiku 菊
          Kita 北
          Kiyaku きやく
          Kuri くり
          Kou こう
          Tau たう
          Tama 玉
          Chiyo 千代
          Tsuru 鶴
          Toku 徳
          Tomo とも
          Natsu 夏
          Nishi 西
          Nene 禰々
          Haru 春
          Higashi 東
          Fuku 福
          Furu 振
          Matsu 松
          Muku むく
          Mume 梅
          夜叉千
          夜叉
          Riri 里々

            Message 5 of 27 , Sep 10, 2013
              I'm a bit late to the converstation but I was wondering if Solveig
              could share the ISBN of "Nihon no Joseimei Tsunoda Bunei" and/or a
              place were I might buy a copy for my shelf.

              Morishima

              Message 6 of 27 , Sep 10, 2013

                I'm a bit late to the converstation but I was wondering if Solveig
                could share the ISBN of "Nihon no Joseimei Tsunoda Bunei" and/or a
                place were I might buy a copy for my shelf.

                The book is not for the fainthearted. Regardless, the ISBN: 4336047456
                I bought my copy from amazon.co.jp which currently has one copy in stock for 8400 yen plus shipping.
                Tsunoda Bun'ei is the author.

              • sara_seigel
                Message 7 of 27 , Sep 10, 2013
                  I'm not faint hearted.... slightly mad yes, but not faint hearted!

                  Thank you for the information.

                  Morishima

                  > Noble Cousin!
                  >
                  > Greetings from Solveig!
                  >
                  >> I'm a bit late to the converstation but I was wondering if Solveig
                  >> could share the ISBN of "Nihon no Joseimei Tsunoda Bunei" and/or a
                  >> place were I might buy a copy for my shelf.
                  >

                  > The book is not for the fainthearted. Regardless, the ISBN: 4336047456
                  > I bought my copy from amazon.co.jp which currently has one copy in stock for
                  > 8400 yen plus shipping.
                  > Tsunoda Bun'ei is the author.
                  >
                  > Your Humble Servant
                  > Solveig Throndardottir
                  > Amateur Scholar

                • Sakura Takeda
                  Message 8 of 27 , Sep 11, 2013
                    Thank you so much for the list of names, they got me started in the right direction. So, they are greatly appreciated! I have some more questions. How would one pronounce: The given names Suke / Sukeko, Tashi and the surname Asakura? I ran across historical figures with these names, but can't find Japanese pronunciations for them.

                    Also, can anyone help me document the name Ryûzô (Ryuzo) for my husband. We used http://www.sengokudaimyo.com/miscellany/names.html to find it, but it was returned saying "Sengokudaimyo is not sufficient documentation by itself as there are no dates to given to prove the given name was used during our time." Any help there would be fantastic.

                    Thank you again for the help!
                    _________
                    Takeda Sakura
                    Webminister: Crimson River
                    Message 9 of 27 , Sep 11, 2013

                      Thank you so much for the list of names, they got me started in the right direction. So, they are greatly appreciated! I have some more questions. How would one pronounce: The given names Suke / Sukeko, Tashi and the surname Asakura?  I ran across historical figures with these names, but can't find Japanese pronunciations for them.

                      Japanese vowels sound like Spanish vowels:
                      A as in the A in swat or the AU in caught
                      I as in the E in beet or sweet
                      U as in the U in lute or the OO in boot
                      E as in the E in bet  or met
                      O as in the O in boat or more

                      Japanese consonants sound pretty much like English consonants except for R which sounds midway between an L and an R.

                      Also, can anyone help me document the name Ryûzô (Ryuzo) for my husband. We used http://www.sengokudaimyo.com/miscellany/names.html to find it, but it was returned saying "Sengokudaimyo is not sufficient documentation by itself as there are no dates to given to prove the given name was used during our time." Any help there would be fantastic.

                      Ryūzō sounds modern.

                    • russ register
                      Message 10 of 27 , Sep 11, 2013
                        well I am part japanese and you should ask a japanese I hate hearing sca people buthcering names or not understand what names mean or the back ground or wrong mon for a last name og so bad
                        or I was watching a lady point her chopstick stright up in her rice such a fopa
                        ya thats for the dead
                        huge insult
                        i understand its a longing to be like but please ask a japanese person who follows the old ways and not insut or butchers this is not to harm but help but I have been in sca long time on and off and always haters who HATE CHANGE

                        To: sca-jml@yahoogroups.com

                        Message 11 of 27 , Sep 11, 2013

                          Greetings from Solveig! You realize that Tsunoda Bun'ei 's book is basically a history of Japanese feminine names. It does have tables of names scattered around in it, but they can be difficult to read as some of these names use non-standard kanji without furigana telling you how they are being read. The book is organized chronologically and within chronological sections it is organized by class and name type. The book was originally published as three volumes, but these are collected together for the current edition. I am not sure what you are hoping to do with the book in question, but I wish you luck with it.

                        • russ register
                          Message 12 of 27 , Sep 11, 2013
                            I learn from Natives to see how they pronounce words and then have them help me do it phonetically and thats how I write it down not how they spell it.
                            Like in Russian Priv Yet cog do la. WHo cares how its writing its how they pronounce it and this works with all. You will get the lang down better and might even have natives ask are you a spy no american accent lol its funny when they do this that means you did it correct.
                            please forgive my typing and writing skills. Its the message. I love others learning and try to help. We are here to have FUN hehe

                            Message 13 of 27 , Sep 12, 2013
                              Funny you should say that, Russ Register, because I am of French heritage and it is very insulting and culturally insensitive to me when you write "faux pas" as "fopa". Pehaps you should take your own advice and consult with a French person before appropriating their phrases. Or just be a little more tolerant of people who are doing the best they can with the resources available to them in their attempt to HAVE FUN in this GAME we all love.
                            • Bolline
                              Message 14 of 27 , Sep 12, 2013

                                "longing to be like" you think a lot of your self Russ Register. I butcher a lot of languages and cultures and I can't say I have a longing. Did you bother to explain to the lady about the rice if she is not Japanese than that is not a tradition she follows.

                                99.9 % German and I only speaks a word or two.

                                Kendall

                                Sent from my iPhone

                                On Sep 12, 2013, at 5:25 AM, <pleaserescuecooper@...> wrote:

                                Funny you should say that, Russ Register, because I am of French heritage and it is very insulting and culturally insensitive to me when you write "faux pas" as "fopa". Pehaps you should take your own advice and consult with a French person before appropriating their phrases. Or just be a little more tolerant of people who are doing the best they can with the resources available to them in their attempt to HAVE FUN in this GAME we all love.

                              • LJonthebay
                                Message 15 of 27 , Sep 12, 2013
                                  Moderator note: Please keep your posts to one another polite. It's all too easy for internet communication to be misread and taken offense at because tone of voice and body language are missing.

                                  Regarding pronunciation, did you know that Google Translate often includes audio so you can hear how a word is pronounced? Just look for the "speaker" icon under the translated word or phrase. http://translate.google.com/

                                  I've also picked up a little bit simply from watching Japanese films. I desperately need English subtitles, but I'm at the point where I can usually pick out names from the rest, plus those words I already know.

                                  Saionji no Hana, Pacific Timezone Moderator
                                • LJonthebay
                                  Message 16 of 27 , Sep 12, 2013
                                    I have just been forced to delete a post from the list and issue a warning to the poster.

                                    If you cannot keep things civil, you will be placed on moderated status. If you are repeatedly and deliberately obnoxious, you will be removed from the group. There's a difference between spirited intellectual debate and a flame war.

                                    I suggest everyone calm down and have a cup of tea.

                                    Message 17 of 27 , Sep 12, 2013
                                      Thank you again for the pronunciation Solveig. You have been a lot of help.

                                      Japanese vowels sound like Spanish vowels:
                                      A as in the A in swat or the AU in caught
                                      I as in the E in beet or sweet
                                      U as in the U in lute or the OO in boot
                                      E as in the E in bet or met
                                      O as in the O in boat or more

                                      Between Solveig's help and finally finding some audio of a Japanese person pronouncing Suke, I think I have made my decision to go with Sakurai Sukeko as it is as close to keeping Sakura in the name as I seem to be able to do.

                                      So, now, what I want to know is what is the easiest way to document the name of an existing historical figure? I'm only going to use the given name, not the entire name. I found the name listed twice on the list of nyoin on wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Nyoin

                                      Inbu-mon In (殷富門院): Imperial Princess Sukeko (亮子内親王) (1147-1216) - mother-in-law(准母) of Emperor Antoku and Emperor Go-Toba
                                      and
                                      Kōhan-mon In (光範門院): Fujiwara no Sukeko (藤原資子) (1384-1440) - consort of Emperor Go-Komatsu (mother of Emperor Shōkō)

                                      I don't think I can use wikipedia as a source and I have poured over my local library with no success on finding mentions of these figures in books. So, can anyone help me out on a way to document to either document these figures or the name itself?

                                      Thanks again everyone

                                      _________
                                      Takeda Sakura
                                      Webminister: Crimson River

                                    • Sakura Takeda
                                      Message 18 of 27 , Sep 12, 2013
                                        I got a reply on Facebook on documenting my name, so I wanted to say never mind on my last e-mail. Thanks very much to Saionji no Hana for the assist.

                                        _________
                                        Takeda Sakura
                                        Webminister: Crimson River

                                      • Ishiyama Gen'tarou Yori'ie
                                        Message 19 of 27 , Sep 13, 2013
                                          Takeda Sakura wrote:
                                          > Between Solveig's help and finally finding some audio of a Japanese
                                          > person pronouncing Suke, I think I have made my decision to go with
                                          > Sakurai Sukeko as it is as close to keeping Sakura in the name as I
                                          > seem to be able to do.

                                          Also keep in mind that nicknames are wonderful things (even in period),
                                          and that saying "...but my friends call me Sakura" is charming.

                                          --
                                          THL Ishiyama Gen'tarou Yori'ie
                                          (mka: Elliott C. Evans)
                                          Message 20 of 27 , Sep 13, 2013

                                            Yeah, everyone calls me Saki because it's easier to remember. ;-)

                                            Lord Sakurái no Jirou Takéo
                                            Kingdom of Calontir
                                            Barony of Forgotten Sea
                                            Canton of Aston Tor
                                            Champagne Players

                                            Message 21 of 27 , Sep 13, 2013
                                              --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, Sakura Takeda <takedasakura@...> wrote:

                                              > I got a reply on Facebook on documenting my name, so I wanted to say never mind on my last e-mail. Thanks very much to Saionji no Hana for the assist.

                                              You're welcome. (In case anyone cares, I provided page numbers from NCMJ.)

                                              Saionji no Hana, West Kingdom
                                            • rjb@ns.sympatico.ca
                                              Message 22 of 27 , Sep 13, 2013
                                                "wow I suppose you beat your kids and kick you dogs too for helping and the dog getting in the way
                                                slap you self and commit self infelicted death over dishonor to you ancestorys"

                                                Really, was THAT necessary? I can understand being upset because people took what you said the wrong way. But accusing people of child abuse and telling them to kill themselves is WAY over the line. It's not okay at all.

                                                -Aimee aka Hirokawa No Tsuru
                                                Message 23 of 27 , Sep 13, 2013

                                                  So, now, what I want to know is what is the easiest way to document the name of an existing historical figure? I'm only going to use the given name, not the entire name. I found the name listed twice on the list of nyoin on wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Nyoin

                                                  Inbu-mon In (殷富門院): Imperial Princess Sukeko (亮子内親王) (1147-1216) - mother-in-law(准母) of Emperor Antoku and Emperor Go-Toba
                                                  and
                                                  Kōhan-mon In (光範門院): Fujiwara no Sukeko (藤原資子) (1384-1440) - consort of Emperor Go-Komatsu (mother of Emperor Shōkō)

                                                  Unfortunately, I do not believe that the College of Arms accepts Wikipedia articles. Fortunately, Sukeko 資子 appears in NCMJ. So you cite NCMJ as follows:

                                                  Sakurai 桜井 (1482) NCMJ Rev Ed pg. 325
                                                  Sukeko 資子 (1384) NCMJ Rev Ed pg. 305

                                                  NCMJ is on the no photocopy list so pretty much all you need to do is cite the entries from NCMJ and note that Sakurai is a family name and Sukeko is a given name.

                                                  Note. Sakura'i also appears in the table of ancient uji on page 396 or NCMJ Rev. Ed. So it is a very distinguished family.

                                                    Message 25 of 27 , Sep 13, 2013
                                                      The poster has been put on moderated status and given a warning.

                                                      Saionji no Hana, Pacific Time Zone Moderator
                                                      Message 26 of 27 , Mar 2, 2014
                                                        An abbreviated list of Azuchi-Momoya Feminine Given Names found in 『日本の女性名』by 角田 文衞 ISBN 4336047456 :

                                                        Acha 阿茶
                                                        Achacha 阿茶茶
                                                        Achao 阿茶阿
                                                        Ago あ五