Help with name documentation

  • Eyler Larson
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 2, 2013
      My baronial herald told be provide detailed documentation for my Japanese period name. They have little experience with Japanese names.

      I used a combination of historical names and made a new name according to the website Sengoku Daimyo / misc / names. However, how do I document the name structure provided? There wasn't a reference guide. Any information will help. Thank you in advanced.

      Enclosed is a brief description of the name:

      Myoji (surname) + no (of) + location, title, or order of birth + nanori (formal adult name)

      Myoji + no + zokumyo + nanori
      Surname + of + order of birth + formal adult name

      New Name:

      Ota no Matatoro Ujimasa

      Ota - surname runs in the line of Ota Sukemasa, it means "large rice patty."
      no - means "of."
      Matatoro - means "first son of a first son" or "first son, again."
      Uji - means "family."
      Masa - means "path."

      Persona:
      I was a samurai retainer to Ota Sukemasa who was a Musashi warlord and lord of Iwatsuki castle (mid Kanto plains). Ota Sukemasa used dogs as messengers instead of people because the ninja would not kill them. I kept, protected, and trained the dogs used by Sukemasa. I remained with him through his struggle with the Hojo, even through the battle of Konodai in 1564. After Ota Sukemasa took up with Satake Yoshishinge, I chose to explore the known world with my companion dogs, Kimiko and Naomi.

      Best Regards,

      Sven Larsson (soon Ujimasa)
      Aka Eyler Larson.

      Sent from my iPad

      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 2, 2013

        Greetings from Solveig! First of all, drop the -no- .. The possessive -no- is at best tricky to use correctly. It appears to be associated with uji (ancient clan) names and you aren't doing that. Last I heard, the College of Arms is not accepting Sengoku Daimyo as documentation. They are accepting Name Construction in Medieval Japan (NCMJ) as documentation.

        You misread a line in Anthony Bryant's Japanese Miscellany. Michi means path. Masa means any of several other things. I am assuming that you are already calling yourself Ujimasa so I am including documentation for that.

        Try writing the following as documentation:

        Ooda Matatarou Ujimasa (Oda Matataro Ujimasa)

        Ooda (also written as Ōda note the macron over the O) 大田 (ca 1332) (NCMJ Rev Ed. Pg 324).
        Matatarou (also written as Matatarō note the macron over the O) 又太郎 (ca 1392)(NCMJ Rev Ed. Pg 372)
        Ujimasa 氏政 is a constructed nanori.
        --> The prototheme 氏 uji (family) appears as a prototheme (ca 1392)(NCMJ Rev Ed. Pg 188)
        --> The deuterotheme 政 masa (Govern / Rule / Instruct / Self-Control) appears as a deuterotheme (ca 1332)(NCMJ Rev Ed. Pg 189 ff)
        --> There was a man named Hōjō Ujimasa 北条 氏政 (1538-1590)

        Note. Why the funny spelling for Oda? The reason is that Japanese distinguishes between short duration vowels and long duration vowels. Both versions of O sound like the O in Oat or Boat. However, the short version means "small" and the long version means "big".

        Note. The final U in Matatrou indicates that the O is long. The Japanese have two different ways for phonetically writing long O. In paleo-Japanese they sounded a bit different, but they pretty much sound the same now.

        Note. Pelican Sovereign of Arms allows "lazy romanization", so you do not have to indicate the long O's in these names when you write out the name. However, you should understand that they should be pronounced longer than short O's and you do need to understand that there will be a somewhat different spelling in the documentation.

        Good Luck!!

      • Eyler Larson
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 13, 2013
          To Solveig Throndardottir,

          A great many thanks for the name help, I officially submitted my name request and the baronial herald tells me anticipate a response in about 9 months.

          :-(

          Oh we'll, I'm more patient in my old age. I'll work on my device. That brings me to the next question. How do you submit a Japanese Mon style as a device. I thought maybe the blazon on a rondel then when I actually draw it using artistic expression to make it more like a Japanese Mon, just use the circle and the blazon without the outer shield shape.

          How do Japanese personas work within the SCA device rules?

          Any help is again appreciated.

          Best Regards,

          Ooda Ujimasa
          Mundane: Eyler Larson

          Sent from my iPad
          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 25, 2013
            Ōda Ujimasa dono!

            Greetings from Solveig!

            Oh we'll, I'm more patient in my old age. I'll work on my device. That brings me to the next question. How do you submit a Japanese Mon style as a device.

            Devices are always submitted on an escutcheon (shield shape) form. Badges are always submitted on a square form. The theory for devices is that the design flows to fill the space of the shield shape it is displayed on. This means that a border will follow the edge of a shield and will be round on a round shield. However, it is probably better to treat annular rings in Japanese kamon as an annulus and not as a border. That way they stay rings no matter what you display them on. Incidentally, annular rings are not all that common with early Japanese kamon.

            I thought maybe the blazon on a rondel then when I actually draw it using artistic expression to make it more like a Japanese Mon, just use the circle and the blazon without the outer shield shape.

            How do Japanese personas work within the SCA device rules?

            Today, there are two possible approaches. One way is to design something which follows "core style" rules and only uses charges used in European heraldry. The other approach is to document your design as an "individually attested pattern". In principle, the second approach allows you to use Japanese charges which do not appear in "core style" armory. Incidentally, there is a fair amount of interest in "individually attested patterns" even with European armory. Regardless, if for example you want to use a tomoe in your armory, then you have to follow the second approach. This requires that your armory be purely Japanese in its design. Individually attested patterns are for the purist.

          • Sakurái no Jirou Takéo
            Message 5 of 6 , Sep 25, 2013

              Argent, a torii gate gules and on a chief wavy sable three cherry blossoms argent

              It follows the European rules, but uses Japanese-related items.  On the LoAR it says: "There is a step from period practice for the use of a torii gate."

              I believe the rules is one step away is fine, so as long as you don't try too many things being a step away, you should be able to make it work.

              Sakurái no Jirou Takéo (aka Jeremiah Jennings)
              Kingdom of Calontir
              Barony of Forgotten Sea
              Canton of Aston Tor
              Champagne Players

              Message 6 of 6 , Sep 25, 2013

                Greetings from Solveig! One "step from period practice" is allowed, but having two or more is grounds for return. This is the case if you take the "core style" approach to things. The torii gate is frequently allowed, but is considered a step from period practice. There is no guarantee that items which are a step from period practice will be allowed in the future, although they generally will be. For some reason, the College of Arms has been returning the tomoe. I think that it gets reamed for being a design instead of an artifact. I am confident that Europeans (specifically Iberians) encountered tomoe prior to 1601. On the other hand, individually attested patterns can break all of the style rules for core style, but must be documented to a single culture.

                So, for example, the Japanese butterfly has been returned in the past on the grounds that it has "triune aspect". However, it should be possible to pass the things as an "individually attested pattern" as I can document them in Japanese armory prior to 1601. Note. As an individually attested pattern, you will most likely not be able to charge the wings with cherry blossoms as I am pretty sure that the Japanese were not doing that. It doesn't matter that you can do things like that in core style when you are following the individually attested pattern path.