Pre 1600 Hakama with or without Koshi-ita

  • wildcrimsonsky
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 11, 2013
      So I've found several Hakama patterns. Most big differences are in the structure of the back panels. Some with a flexible plate like modern Hakama. Some with a large single belt loop like piece to run the front ties through. Lastly a Hakama that has similar front and rear ties.

      So here is the question. Japanese samurai 1560 AD mid Konto plains. What was that period's Hakama style. So much information has made it difficult to drill down to the correct details.

      Thank you in advance for any assistance provided.

      Best Regards,

      Sven Lasson Sture
      (Aka Eyler Larson)
    • JL Badgley
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 11, 2013
        On Aug 11, 2013 7:05 PM, "wildcrimsonsky" <wildcrimsonsky@...> wrote:

        > So I've found several Hakama patterns. Most big differences are in the
        structure of the back panels. Some with a flexible plate like modern
        Hakama. Some with a large single belt loop like piece to run the front ties
        through. Lastly a Hakama that has similar front and rear ties.

        > So here is the question. Japanese samurai 1560 AD mid Konto plains. What
        was that period's Hakama style. So much information has made it difficult
        to drill down to the correct details.

        Koshi ita are late period at best. We do see evidence of them in the late
        Sengoku period, but not before, that I know of. They do give a nice
        structure to the hakama, but they are a pain for maintenance unless you get
        a plastic insert so that you can throw it in the wash.

        I don't know what you mean about the belt loop type, as I've never seen
        anything like that. Without a koshiita, be sure to make the back panel
        high enough to cover ties in back. I think that is your easiest and most
        versatile option.

        Ii

      • Eyler Larson
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 12, 2013
          Fellow enthusiasts,

          Interestingly I found a video tutorial that had the Koshiita formed as a large belt loop. The front ties were passed through the Koshiita and there was no rear ties. It was a Cosplay site so I suspected it was a modern short cut to the Hakama. Clever though.

          As I suspected, front and rear ties, no Koshiita. Got it, I'll start cutting and sewing tonight.

          Best Regards,

          Sven Larsson Sture
          (Aka Eyler Larson)

          Sent from my iPad