ISO. Illuminations

  • Malinda
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 1, 2013
      Can anyone tell me where to find manuscript images. I'm hoping to try to do a scroll. Any help appreciated Thanks

      Sent from my iPod
    • Kay Mead
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 1, 2013
        I normally do Google image searches for my Japanese scrolls. What are you
        looking to create?

        Ivetta
        On Aug 1, 2013 8:59 PM, "Malinda" <maddalex@...> wrote:

        > **
        >

        > Can anyone tell me where to find manuscript images. I'm hoping to try to
        > do a scroll. Any help appreciated Thanks
        >
        > Sent from my iPod

      • Malinda
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 2, 2013
          Something war like. Like an archery champion scroll. Something whimsical like kite battles. Something bardic or poetic. Something with horns or rams would also be useable

          Sent from my iPod

          On Aug 1, 2013, at 10:08 PM, Kay Mead <ladyivetta@...> wrote:

          > I normally do Google image searches for my Japanese scrolls. What are you
          > looking to create?
          >
          > Ivetta
          > On Aug 1, 2013 8:59 PM, "Malinda" <maddalex@...> wrote:
          >
          > > **
          > >

          > > Can anyone tell me where to find manuscript images. I'm hoping to try to
          > > do a scroll. Any help appreciated Thanks
          > >
          > > Sent from my iPod

        • LJonthebay
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 2, 2013
            --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, Malinda <maddalex@...> wrote:

            > Something war like. Like an archery champion scroll. Something whimsical like kite battles. Something bardic or poetic. Something with horns or rams would also be useable

            The Japanese didn't illustrate official documents, however, if you do a search on the term "emaki" or "emakimono" these are illustrated picture scrolls, usually written to accompany a story, chronicle or even collected poetry. I have seen depictions of battles and at least at least one courtly archery contest. IIRC, there's a scene in the Genji Monogatari emaki of Genji playing a lutelike instrument called a biwa. I havee links to some emaki in the articla at http://wodefordhall.com/emaki.htm

            You might also look at genre paintings. http://www.tnm.jp/modules/r_free_page/index.php?id=95 will get you started at the Tokyo National Museum's collection.

            The Japanese didn't have sheep or rams. They did have oxen.

            BTW, if you actually FIND a period depiction of anyone flying a kite, do share!

            Good hunting,

            Saionji no Hana, OL, West Kingdom
          • Malinda
            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 2, 2013
              Thank you some much for the information. I will be looking for those terms to see what I can find. I was aware that most of the surviving illuminated European manuscripts were bibles and books of hours or things other than legal documents except for some heraldic stuff. It is interesting to learn that holds true for Japan as well. If I find any kites or rams I'll let you know
              Sent from my iPod

              Message 6 of 7 , Aug 4, 2013

                > Thank you some much for the information. I will be looking for those terms to see what I can find. I was aware that most of the surviving illuminated European manuscripts were bibles and books of hours or things other than legal documents except for some heraldic stuff. It is interesting to learn that holds true for Japan as well. If I find any kites or rams I'll let you know

                We have quite a bit of extant illuminated WESTERN legal documents. For example there is a surviving Portugese viceregal charter which is reproduced in a Japanese history book that I have. There are multiple examples of illuminated and even preprinted illuminations in the Kriminal Museum in Germany. On the other hand, I do not know of ANY illuminated Japanese legal documents. AND, we do have quite a few surviving Japanese legal documents. There is interestingly enough a specific style to Japanese official documents that is seldom seen in the Society. That is the use of itemized statements each of which begins with the kanji for the number one which is often followed by a japanese comma.

                In Japan, calligraphy itself is a widely regarded art form. I urge you to produce a scroll which is pure calligraphy sans illumination.

              • Malinda
                Message 7 of 7 , Aug 4, 2013
                  Thanks so much for the info and challenge, Solveig. I'm trying to get back to doing more C&I and am always wanting to learn more. I will plan to try attempting a calligraphy only style during our Kingdom's next reign. Especially as I like a challenge and to push myself to learning more. Can you tell me more or link me to an example of that specific official style and translations because my Japanese is limited? Very few in this Kingdom do Japanese. We have a lot of early period folk. 😜

                  Sent from my iPod