Re: [SCA-JML] camp curtains

  • Bolline
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 26, 2013
      PVC or metal electrical tubing, drive in heavy tent stakes or short rebar and slide the tubing over.

      Good luck.
      Kendall
      Sent from my iPhone

      On Jul 26, 2013, at 10:30 AM, Eileen Young <judith.eileen@...> wrote:

      > Good Morning,
      > Has anyone made camp curtains? I was looking at the camp curtains on the Japanese Miscellany site, www.sengokudaimyo.com/miscellany/miscellany.html and thought that a set of "tobari" would be perfect. I asked the only blacksmith person that I know about this and he said that rebar, the poles, was heavy and after a few feet would start to bend and suggested wood poles. Wood poles are not going to fit into my Corolla along with the rest of my camping gear. Also, the price he quoted me per pole and portable hole set is beyond my budget.
      > Any suggestions and experience will be greatly appreciated!
      > Judith Anne

    • Ishiyama Gen'tarou Yori'ie
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 26, 2013
        Judith Anne
        > Has anyone made camp curtains?

        Clan Yama Kaminari surrounds its camp with jinmaku every Pennsic. They work
        great. The clan uses wooden poles and welded rebar portable holes, but
        stores them at the campground so transport is not a problem.

        If authenticity is not your primary concern, probably any vertical pole
        will do. Maybe garden stakes like for supporting tomatoes?
        If you're worried about driving those into the ground, get shorter stakes
        (maybe 2 or 3 feet), drive those in, then tape or lash the longer pole to that.

        CYK has some instructions for making jinmaku at
        http://www.yamakaminari.com/HowTo/Windscreen/index.html . I think these
        days the sewn tabs at the top have been replaced with nylon "webbing"
        straps, though.

        --
        Ishiyama Gen'tarou Yori'ie roku-i
        (mka: Elliott C. "Eeyore" Evans)