camp curtains

  • Eileen Young
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 26, 2013
      Good Morning,
      Has anyone made camp curtains? I was looking at the camp curtains on the Japanese Miscellany site, www.sengokudaimyo.com/miscellany/miscellany.html and thought that a set of "tobari" would be perfect. I asked the only blacksmith person that I know about this and he said that rebar, the poles, was heavy and after a few feet would start to bend and suggested wood poles. Wood poles are not going to fit into my Corolla along with the rest of my camping gear. Also, the price he quoted me per pole and portable hole set is beyond my budget.
      Any suggestions and experience will be greatly appreciated!
      Judith Anne

    • Mike Dudley
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 26, 2013
        I have used rebar. Your friend is correct. The solution may be to increase the number of poles and shorten the distance between them. I had to reset mine each night, but had them 8 feet apart.

        Hope this helps a little.

        Akimoro

        Sent from my iPad

        On Jul 26, 2013, at 10:30 AM, Eileen Young <judith.eileen@...> wrote:

        > Good Morning,
        > Has anyone made camp curtains? I was looking at the camp curtains on the Japanese Miscellany site, www.sengokudaimyo.com/miscellany/miscellany.html and thought that a set of "tobari" would be perfect. I asked the only blacksmith person that I know about this and he said that rebar, the poles, was heavy and after a few feet would start to bend and suggested wood poles. Wood poles are not going to fit into my Corolla along with the rest of my camping gear. Also, the price he quoted me per pole and portable hole set is beyond my budget.
        > Any suggestions and experience will be greatly appreciated!
        > Judith Anne

      • Bolline
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 26, 2013
          PVC or metal electrical tubing, drive in heavy tent stakes or short rebar and slide the tubing over.

          Good luck.
          Kendall
          Sent from my iPhone

          On Jul 26, 2013, at 10:30 AM, Eileen Young <judith.eileen@...> wrote:

          > Good Morning,
          > Has anyone made camp curtains? I was looking at the camp curtains on the Japanese Miscellany site, www.sengokudaimyo.com/miscellany/miscellany.html and thought that a set of "tobari" would be perfect. I asked the only blacksmith person that I know about this and he said that rebar, the poles, was heavy and after a few feet would start to bend and suggested wood poles. Wood poles are not going to fit into my Corolla along with the rest of my camping gear. Also, the price he quoted me per pole and portable hole set is beyond my budget.
          > Any suggestions and experience will be greatly appreciated!
          > Judith Anne

        • Ishiyama Gen'tarou Yori'ie
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 26, 2013
            Judith Anne
            > Has anyone made camp curtains?

            Clan Yama Kaminari surrounds its camp with jinmaku every Pennsic. They work
            great. The clan uses wooden poles and welded rebar portable holes, but
            stores them at the campground so transport is not a problem.

            If authenticity is not your primary concern, probably any vertical pole
            will do. Maybe garden stakes like for supporting tomatoes?
            If you're worried about driving those into the ground, get shorter stakes
            (maybe 2 or 3 feet), drive those in, then tape or lash the longer pole to that.

            CYK has some instructions for making jinmaku at
            http://www.yamakaminari.com/HowTo/Windscreen/index.html . I think these
            days the sewn tabs at the top have been replaced with nylon "webbing"
            straps, though.

            --
            Ishiyama Gen'tarou Yori'ie roku-i
            (mka: Elliott C. "Eeyore" Evans)