Passing of one of the greats...

  • JL Badgley
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 7, 2013
      At 7:30 AM this morning, Date Rokurou Yoshimitsu posted the following
      on Facebook:

      "I have some very bad news for everyone. On 28 June 2013, Date Date
      Saburou Yukiie lost his battle with PTSD and took his own life. He
      fought like a true Samurai every day, but in the end, PTSD won. He was
      my closest, best and dearest friend. He is already missed and the
      world will be a whole lot darker without him. :'( May Buddha bless him
      and allow him to return to us soon."

      Date was a friend, a warrior, and a poet. He served his country,
      protecting others, and I know that he touched many of our lives. His
      artwork, both within the SCA and without, was always an inspiration to
      me. He will be missed.

      Yoshimitsu-dono is already putting plans together to gather at Pennsic
      next year in his honor (this Pennsic being too close for most people
      to change their plans). More information will be forthcoming.

      -Ii Katsumori
    • Anthony Bryant
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 7, 2013
        Thanks for the heads-up.

        I just can't believe this.

        Last time I talked with him was in May, and he seemed okay then.

        I'm really shocked by this. And totally at a loss.

        We've all lost. The man was incredibly talented and a great font of so much crafty information.

        Sigh.

        It's not too early to drink.

        On Jul 7, 2013, at 8:36 AM, JL Badgley wrote:

        > At 7:30 AM this morning, Date Rokurou Yoshimitsu posted the following
        > on Facebook:
        >
        > "I have some very bad news for everyone. On 28 June 2013, Date Date
        > Saburou Yukiie lost his battle with PTSD and took his own life. He
        > fought like a true Samurai every day, but in the end, PTSD won. He was
        > my closest, best and dearest friend. He is already missed and the
        > world will be a whole lot darker without him. :'( May Buddha bless him
        > and allow him to return to us soon."
        >
        > Date was a friend, a warrior, and a poet. He served his country,
        > protecting others, and I know that he touched many of our lives. His
        > artwork, both within the SCA and without, was always an inspiration to
        > me. He will be missed.
        >
        > Yoshimitsu-dono is already putting plans together to gather at Pennsic
        > next year in his honor (this Pennsic being too close for most people
        > to change their plans). More information will be forthcoming.
        >
        > -Ii Katsumori

      • Jeremy Mallory
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 7, 2013
          This truly is a tragedy. I personally did not know Saburou-dono, But I know what PTSD can do to a person. My heart goes out to his family and loved ones.  May the flame of his life burn eternally in the hearts of all who knew him.  Rest in peace.  May Buddhas grace guide you.

          -Hideyoshi Yoshimistu

          ________________________________

          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 8, 2013
            In 2004, Date-dono sparked a completely spontaneous eruption of poetry on the sca-jml Yahoo Group. It inspired me not only to participate but to write an article for Tournaments Illuminated on Heian poetry exchanges. Thus began a regular exchange of poetic conversations between us. It didn't take long for it to become flirtatious. At that point, honor required me to ask if there was anyone in his life who might feel threatened, offended or otherwise unhappy about the turn the correspondence was taking. He gleefully informed me that his wife Kay read everything we wrote, often over his shoulder as we were pinging waka back and forth. In short, game on.

            As I shared our collected it on my website, I was often asked, "How can you do that?" It's complicated, but it worked. Had Kay not been happy about it I would have ended it immediately - I don't poach, ever. I almost always signed off with a comment to thank his lady for letting him come out and play and I often said I owed her some expensive chocolates and a dozen roses. He let on that our exchanges were good for their relationship, to which I recall chortling, "As long as SOMEONE's getting dragged off to the futon!"

            It was a writing challenge: how to respond, how to up the bar and increase the challenge, even turn the tables on one another. He inspired me to write things I am immensely proud of. In turn he wrote things that made me laugh, that turned me to teary eyed mush (that in itself is an accomplishment!), that took my breath away, because part of this mad, amazing exercise was to allow ourselves to react on a deeply subjective level to the poems we received so that we could respond to them honestly, even though we knew the reality was that it was a fiction.

            Were Yukiie and Hana in love? Yes, of course, though the back story I had in my mind (which I never told him about) was that we had glimpsed one another from afar, exchanged messages and kept trying to meet only to be thwarted at every turn. Keeping the chase going was definitely part of the fun for me.

            Were Christopher and I? Certainly there was much to admire. He was a bright, funny, incredibly talented man who impressed the hell out of me at every turn. Go look at his artwork at http://www.kabutographics.com/deskIndex.html
            And of course there was his artistry with armor and clothing.

            He served in the Marine Corps during the first Gulf War. He was ever proud of his service, explosive ordnance disposal and security for a general - his FB wall never let you forget it, though he never let me see the bad side of it. Pictures of him and Kay traveling and looking happy, humorous dispatches about a campaign against the aphids in his garden, everything seemed to be good. He posted a picture of himself sipping coffee on the porch and looking pleased with himself two weeks ago, captioned: "A Marine, in a SuperHero T-Shirt, Drinking Lifer Juice out of a Marine Corps Cup. Fine morning indeed!"

            Having had the word from Rokurou-dono privately, I think a part of my brain didn't quite believe it right away, and besides, I couldn't talk about it to anyone. I somehow managed to push it away during the preparation for An Tir West War and the ensuing activities. Then my cell phone went bonkers on Highway 101 yesterday and I had eight plus hours in the truck alone to think about it. I found myself thinking about Kay a lot.

            As I took the Broadway Alameda exit off 980 into Oakland I shut off my radio and drove in silence. I came out of the tube and turned right instead of left and headed out to the seaplane lagoon on Alameda Point. We'd once written of pouring cups for one another, there was a half a bottle of Jinyu left in the cooler and I owed the man a drink.

            Across the great land
            a cup of sake offered
            in gentle friendship
            from one we have never met...
            so sweet as to move to tears. (Date to Saionji)

            Across the great land
            A bottle of cheer is sent
            Where I could not go.
            Dreaming yet of unmet friends,
            We will one day share a cup. (Saionji)
            - August 26, 2005.

            http://www.flickr.com/photos/70104978@N00/9237527590/lightbox/

            I don't have a poem for him now. I haven't the heart for it. Yet I know what I feel is a mere ripple compared to what his family is going through.

            Saionji no Hana
          • Seki
            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 10, 2013
              Thank you so much for this, I was told of his passing by a fellow Marine friend of the two of us and made to swear not to say anything until it was ok with his family, so my heart screamed the desire but I was unable to. I have lots of conflicting emotions as the pass 2 months we were heavy in conversation even while I was at work and we talked about the Marine Corps and our roles in the different engagements as well as the art of War, historical battles in Feudal Japan and a bit about the different members of the Japanese community within the SCA, I truly enjoyed and will miss his philosophical thoughts, poetry and as I once joked because of my limitations in English, "Our conversations in English", I truly feel a void left behind as I have become accustomed to speaking with him regularly on face book and this great man I will not be able to hear from, a fellow Marine, A warrior and a friend, I have great sorrow and sadness, a void I don't know how to fill or if I ever will be able to.

              Humbly,
              Sukeie