Re: [SCA-JML] Modern Uchikake vs Period

  • JL Badgley
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 28, 2013
      On Fri, Jun 28, 2013 at 9:13 PM, Carey M <agnesvonh@...> wrote:
      > I am curious what those in the know regarding the differences in cut in uchikake would think of someone wearing a modern uchikake. The thing is I really really like my wedding dress and it would be awesome to wear it for a fancy court some day. I know most of those that do not know anything about Japanese garb would find nothing wrong. Here's a picture if you are curious about the exact item http://groups.yahoo.com/group/sca-jml/photos/album/594872653/pic/468743271/view?picmode=&mode=tn&order=ordinal&start=1&count=20&dir=asc

      First off, that is awesome.

      It is only the sleeves that really stand out to me, but I wouldn't say
      anything about it unless asked. I can definitely understand wanting
      to have more occasions to use it.

      -Ii
    • LJonthebay
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 29, 2013
        --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, JL Badgley <tatsushu@...> wrote:
        > It is only the sleeves that really stand out to me, but I wouldn't say
        > anything about it unless asked. I can definitely understand wanting
        > to have more occasions to use it.

        That and the modern ones tend to have heavily padded hems to make them stand out properly as they trail behind you. That said, they are spectacularly beautiful and I'm kind of annoyed that the Yahoo Groups album doesn't have a zoom feature so I can get a better look at yours. Wear it someplace with clean floors if you can and enjoy.

        Saionji Shonagon
        West Kingdom
      • Carey Marquardt
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 29, 2013
          Well there is a lovely view of the cranes in this picture http://careyandrewmarquardtwedding.shutterfly.com/200 Feel free to check out the other pictures in the wedding album. My husband wears two different jackets in the pictures, the plain black one I made and hated then the shrine offered us the one with the mon on it.