Shipping a Koto

  • Akiyo Taira
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 21, 2013
      Aloha!

      My sensei gave me a box last March when I was in Hawaii visiting my family.
      It was a box full of promise; it was a set of ji for a koto. Well, sensei
      gave the koto to my mom and now we're trying to work out the logistics for
      getting it to Maryland. The current plan is to ship it via UPS/FedEx, have
      them pack it, insure it, & I can pick it up at the facility by my house. I
      have friends that bought kotos in Japan and brought them back on the
      airplane but I don't know anybody that has shipped one cross country; any
      ideas or suggestions?

      Additionally, the humidity on the east coast is very different from Hawaii
      or Okinawa. Does anybody have care & feeding advice? I talked to a lady
      that used to live out here and she said that they would drape damp towels
      on the koto to keep the wood from drying out and splitting in the winter.

      It only took 13 years of going to class every time that I visited my
      parents...I'm getting a koto so I can practice during the 50 weeks when I'm
      not in Hawaii.

      In Service,
      Akiyo

    • LJonthebay
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 21, 2013
        --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, Akiyo Taira <taira.no.akiyo@...> wrote:

        My local UPS store is very good about packing fragile items carefully.

        > Additionally, the humidity on the east coast is very different from Hawaii
        > or Okinawa. Does anybody have care & feeding advice?

        http://www.taylorguitars.com/sites/default/files/10_UsingaGuitarHumidifier.pdf describes several types of guitar humidifiers. Perhaps one of these might suit your needs.

        Congratulations on your new acquisition!

        Saionji no Hana
        West Kingdom
      • JL Badgley
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 21, 2013
          I'm reaching out to my former koto instructor to see if she has any thoughts.

          -Ii