Re: [SCA-JML] Apron question

  • Kevin Vicklund
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 2, 2013
      There's a very period way of tying sleeves back, but you need to have a cord of sufficient length to do so, so practice this at home so you don't find yourself with a cord of the wrong length:

      Drape the midpoint of the cord over your neck so the ends dangle in front of you.  Take one end and pass it under your arm and behind you, and then bring it up over your shoulder.  At this point, both ends should be hanging in front of you from the same shoulder.  Take the other end (the one you haven't manipulated yet) off the shoulder and underneath the same arm.  At this point, the cord should be going over a shoulder, across the back, under the arm, up and over the shoulder, across the back (creating an X between the shoulder blades), and out under the arm.  Adjust the cord so that it is snug without restricting movement and the two ends are of equal length, then tie in a bow in front of the shoulder.  (Optional: move the cord so that the knot is at the center of the back).  Pull or tuck excess sleeve under the cord, and there you go!

      As to the use of rank:

      If all you have is a simple AoA, Shô hachi-i is probably the right one.  When using it with your name, drop the Shô, so you would be Takeda Sakura hachi-i.  "I"s are pronounced as long e's, so the -chi is like the beginning of "cheese".  So phonetically, it's "show hah-chee ee"  Generally speaking, syllables end in vowels (the exception being -n, which is technically its own syllable) with no emphasis.  Accents over vowels tell you if you hold the vowel an extra beat.

      The apprenticeship would normally be used to indicate your job, in contrast with your rank.  However, if you're in a kingdom that doesn't have Orders, I would probably treat this as an ordered award for the purposes of the chart.  Which would put you at Shô shichi-i.  In the end, whether you determine you are 7th or 8th rank is up to you, and the chart is just a guideline.  In fact, I have created a modified chart for use in the Midrealm that is even more detailed (all 30 ranks, including the upper/lower divisions for ranks 4-9), and also separates the royal peers into a set of princely ranks (placing the Curia Regis in the vacated ranks).  In that chart, I (holding only an AoA) am at Ju shichi-i ge rank, because all armigerous awards grant 7th rank status (8th rank is for group officers and non-armigerous awards).

      -Sugawara no Tokihira

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 3, 2013
        --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, Sakura Takeda <takedasakura@...> wrote:

        > Hello everyone, I am in need of your wonderful help once more.
        >
        > First, I am a potter and looking for a good apron to cover up my garb for pottery demos. Are the only period apron options mobakama or yumaki? Is there any option that covers more, especially the chest? Is there anything in period similar to the modern day kappōgi (the cooking/cleaning cover up) maybe? This thing: http://www.silkytime.com/kappougi-3.JPG

        Well, there's this: http://www.iz2.or.jp/english/fukusyoku/busou/8.htm
        and this: http://www.iz2.or.jp/english/fukusyoku/busou/9.htm

        Probably not exactly what you were hoping for, but they would at least provide some coverage.

        Saionji no Hana
        West Kingdom
      • LJonthebay
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 3, 2013
          Doh! Sakura-hime, if you have not already seen it, do rent "Ugetsu," a wonderful movie about a potter and his family and friends during the 16th century wars. They're peasants so all his clothes are pretty much work clothes. I don't recall anything apronlike....

          Saionji no Hana
          West Kingdom
        • Deb Strub
          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 10, 2013
            Greetings all,

            Has anyone found information on period apprentice ceremonies? My
            apprentice and I will be publicly formalizing our relationship soon and
            I'd like to do something appropriate.

            YIS,

            Tsuruko
          • LJonthebay
            Message 5 of 9 , Apr 15, 2013
              --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, Deb Strub <tsuruko@...> wrote:

              > Greetings all,
              >
              > Has anyone found information on period apprentice ceremonies? My
              > apprentice and I will be publicly formalizing our relationship soon and
              > I'd like to do something appropriate.

              Good question. So would I, should the occasion present itself.

              I did find this old message in the archives, which might be a start:

              Saionji no Hana
              West Kingdom
            • Deb Strub
              Message 6 of 9 , Apr 18, 2013