Apron question

  • Sakura Takeda
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 1, 2013
      Hello everyone, I am in need of your wonderful help once more.

      First, I am a potter and looking for a good apron to cover up my garb for pottery demos. Are the only period apron options mobakama or yumaki? Is there any option that covers more, especially the chest? Is there anything in period similar to the modern day kappōgi (the cooking/cleaning cover up) maybe? This thing: http://www.silkytime.com/kappougi-3.JPG

      Also, are there any instructions on the web anywhere on how to fold up kosode sleeves for cooking/cleaning. I spent most of my shire's last event helping in the kitchen and the sleeves drove me up a wall. I couldn't find a way to get them out of my way and I really don't want to resort to western garb.

      Lastly, I was checking out this page: http://www.sengokudaimyo.com/miscellany/address.html and I wanted to make sure I have the ranking system stuff down before using it. I have an AoA and I am apprenticed to a laurel. Do I use Shô hachi-i or a different one on the list? and do you add it to the end of the name, like Takeda Sakura Shô hachi-i? Also, how is that pronounced?

      Thanks,
      Sakura
    • Ishiyama Gen'tarou Yori'ie
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 2, 2013
        Hachi-i-dono;

        I am very sorry to really only address two of your questions, but my
        knowledge of women's garb is sketchy. My opinion would be that for
        dirty work they wore dirty-work clothing and then changed outfits.

        Sakura Takeda wrote:
        > Also, are there any instructions on the web anywhere on how to fold
        > up kosode sleeves for cooking/cleaning?

        You want to search for "tasuki" sleeve cord. It's basically just a
        long (~6 or 7 feet) cord or strip of fabric tied into a figure 8
        with your arms through the loops and the X in the middle of your back.
        It keeps your sleeves bunched up against your torso.

        > Lastly, I was checking out this page:
        > http://www.sengokudaimyo.com/miscellany/address.html and I wanted to
        > make sure I have the ranking system stuff down before using it. I have
        > an AoA and I am apprenticed to a laurel. Do I use Shô hachi-i or a
        > different one on the list? and do you add it to the end of the name,
        > like Takeda Sakura Shô hachi-i? Also, how is that pronounced?

        "Shô hachi-i" is the name of the rank. Keep scrolling down to the
        other table. I believe you would sign things "Takeda Sakura hachi-i"
        or "Takeda-hachi-i". Others would address you as I have in the
        salutation, or as "Takeda-dono".

        If you are female (you've offered no clear indication, sorry) you
        can substitute "hime" for any instance of "dono" above.

        --
        THL Ishiyama Gen'tarou Yori'ie
        (mka: Elliott C. Evans)
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 2, 2013
          There's a video here on how to tie a tasuki (cord tying back kimono
          sleeves). http://youtu.be/b7K8d6li9jA

          Hope this helps!

          Ki no Kotori (Tace of Foxele)

        • Kevin Vicklund
          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 2, 2013
            There's a very period way of tying sleeves back, but you need to have a cord of sufficient length to do so, so practice this at home so you don't find yourself with a cord of the wrong length:

            Drape the midpoint of the cord over your neck so the ends dangle in front of you.  Take one end and pass it under your arm and behind you, and then bring it up over your shoulder.  At this point, both ends should be hanging in front of you from the same shoulder.  Take the other end (the one you haven't manipulated yet) off the shoulder and underneath the same arm.  At this point, the cord should be going over a shoulder, across the back, under the arm, up and over the shoulder, across the back (creating an X between the shoulder blades), and out under the arm.  Adjust the cord so that it is snug without restricting movement and the two ends are of equal length, then tie in a bow in front of the shoulder.  (Optional: move the cord so that the knot is at the center of the back).  Pull or tuck excess sleeve under the cord, and there you go!

            As to the use of rank:

            If all you have is a simple AoA, Shô hachi-i is probably the right one.  When using it with your name, drop the Shô, so you would be Takeda Sakura hachi-i.  "I"s are pronounced as long e's, so the -chi is like the beginning of "cheese".  So phonetically, it's "show hah-chee ee"  Generally speaking, syllables end in vowels (the exception being -n, which is technically its own syllable) with no emphasis.  Accents over vowels tell you if you hold the vowel an extra beat.

            The apprenticeship would normally be used to indicate your job, in contrast with your rank.  However, if you're in a kingdom that doesn't have Orders, I would probably treat this as an ordered award for the purposes of the chart.  Which would put you at Shô shichi-i.  In the end, whether you determine you are 7th or 8th rank is up to you, and the chart is just a guideline.  In fact, I have created a modified chart for use in the Midrealm that is even more detailed (all 30 ranks, including the upper/lower divisions for ranks 4-9), and also separates the royal peers into a set of princely ranks (placing the Curia Regis in the vacated ranks).  In that chart, I (holding only an AoA) am at Ju shichi-i ge rank, because all armigerous awards grant 7th rank status (8th rank is for group officers and non-armigerous awards).

            -Sugawara no Tokihira

            ________________________________

            Message 5 of 9 , Apr 3, 2013
              --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, Sakura Takeda <takedasakura@...> wrote:

              > Hello everyone, I am in need of your wonderful help once more.
              >
              > First, I am a potter and looking for a good apron to cover up my garb for pottery demos. Are the only period apron options mobakama or yumaki? Is there any option that covers more, especially the chest? Is there anything in period similar to the modern day kappōgi (the cooking/cleaning cover up) maybe? This thing: http://www.silkytime.com/kappougi-3.JPG

              Well, there's this: http://www.iz2.or.jp/english/fukusyoku/busou/8.htm
              and this: http://www.iz2.or.jp/english/fukusyoku/busou/9.htm

              Probably not exactly what you were hoping for, but they would at least provide some coverage.

              Saionji no Hana
              West Kingdom
            • LJonthebay
              Message 6 of 9 , Apr 3, 2013
                Doh! Sakura-hime, if you have not already seen it, do rent "Ugetsu," a wonderful movie about a potter and his family and friends during the 16th century wars. They're peasants so all his clothes are pretty much work clothes. I don't recall anything apronlike....

                Saionji no Hana
                West Kingdom
              • Deb Strub
                Message 7 of 9 , Apr 10, 2013
                  Greetings all,

                  Has anyone found information on period apprentice ceremonies? My
                  apprentice and I will be publicly formalizing our relationship soon and
                  I'd like to do something appropriate.

                  YIS,

                  Tsuruko
                • LJonthebay
                  Message 8 of 9 , Apr 15, 2013
                    --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, Deb Strub <tsuruko@...> wrote:

                    > Greetings all,
                    >
                    > Has anyone found information on period apprentice ceremonies? My
                    > apprentice and I will be publicly formalizing our relationship soon and
                    > I'd like to do something appropriate.

                    Good question. So would I, should the occasion present itself.

                    I did find this old message in the archives, which might be a start:

                    Saionji no Hana
                    West Kingdom
                  • Deb Strub
                    Message 9 of 9 , Apr 18, 2013