Jinboari/ Sodenashi (short sleeves) Haori

  • Pia
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 3 8:43 AM
      I've also got a question. I was watching this movie lately and there is
      one guy who's outfit I like. Now since I am not an expert by any means,
      I was just wondering if he is actually wearing a jinboari or simply a
      haori without sleeves?
      Frontside <http://s7.directupload.net/images/130303/f4cir7tc.png>
      Backside <http://s7.directupload.net/images/130303/o5k7a4nc.png>

      thanks,
      Pia

    • LJonthebay
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 3 9:39 AM
        --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "Pia" <ti1816@...> wrote:

        > I've also got a question. I was watching this movie lately and there is
        > one guy who's outfit I like. Now since I am not an expert by any means,
        > I was just wondering if he is actually wearing a jinboari or simply a
        > haori without sleeves?
        > Frontside <http://s7.directupload.net/images/130303/f4cir7tc.png>
        > Backside <http://s7.directupload.net/images/130303/o5k7a4nc.png>

        Close - it's the pre-cursor to the haori, the dobuku. Some had sleeves, some didn't, and they were part of a samurai's day-wear in the 16th century.

        http://www.sengokudaimyo.com/garb/graphics/garbphotos/dobuku_sugata.jpg shows some examples.

        Saionji Shonagon