Re: JInbaori

  • LJonthebay
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 26, 2013
      Seeing as I've now made four of them from scratch with no pattern (and the first two completely guessing size as they were a surprise for my Prince and Princess), I suppose I should bust out some graph paper and post a pattern at some point.

      The latest is up on the Tousando at
      http://tousando.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=garb&action=display&thread=4303

      Saionji Shonagon
      West Kingdom
    • Charles Dodge
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 26, 2013
        Saionji,

        This was the main thread that got me digging deeper in the Tousando boards for other threads and how I was able to stumble upon a better spelling. It was most useful.

        Nakos

        ________________________________
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 3, 2013
          I've also got a question. I was watching this movie lately and there is
          one guy who's outfit I like. Now since I am not an expert by any means,
          I was just wondering if he is actually wearing a jinboari or simply a
          haori without sleeves?
          Frontside <http://s7.directupload.net/images/130303/f4cir7tc.png>
          Backside <http://s7.directupload.net/images/130303/o5k7a4nc.png>

          thanks,
          Pia

        • LJonthebay
          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 3, 2013
            --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "Pia" <ti1816@...> wrote:

            > I've also got a question. I was watching this movie lately and there is
            > one guy who's outfit I like. Now since I am not an expert by any means,
            > I was just wondering if he is actually wearing a jinboari or simply a
            > haori without sleeves?
            > Frontside <http://s7.directupload.net/images/130303/f4cir7tc.png>
            > Backside <http://s7.directupload.net/images/130303/o5k7a4nc.png>

            Close - it's the pre-cursor to the haori, the dobuku. Some had sleeves, some didn't, and they were part of a samurai's day-wear in the 16th century.

            http://www.sengokudaimyo.com/garb/graphics/garbphotos/dobuku_sugata.jpg shows some examples.

            Saionji Shonagon