RE: [SCA-JML] Jimbori or Armoured jacket

  • robert_shroyer
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 25, 2013
      Hello there,

      The spelling you're looking for is jinbaori. There are patterns out there and some of them were pretty elaborate.  Unfortunately,  the pattern I have is no longer in print. Sorry I haven't been able to help you more than that.

      Sent via the Samsung Galaxy Note® II, an AT&T 4G LTE smartphone

      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 26, 2013
        Seeing as I've now made four of them from scratch with no pattern (and the first two completely guessing size as they were a surprise for my Prince and Princess), I suppose I should bust out some graph paper and post a pattern at some point.

        The latest is up on the Tousando at
        http://tousando.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=garb&action=display&thread=4303

        Saionji Shonagon
        West Kingdom
      • Charles Dodge
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 26, 2013
          Saionji,

          This was the main thread that got me digging deeper in the Tousando boards for other threads and how I was able to stumble upon a better spelling. It was most useful.

          Nakos

          ________________________________
          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 3, 2013
            I've also got a question. I was watching this movie lately and there is
            one guy who's outfit I like. Now since I am not an expert by any means,
            I was just wondering if he is actually wearing a jinboari or simply a
            haori without sleeves?
            Frontside <http://s7.directupload.net/images/130303/f4cir7tc.png>
            Backside <http://s7.directupload.net/images/130303/o5k7a4nc.png>

            thanks,
            Pia

          • LJonthebay
            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 3, 2013
              --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "Pia" <ti1816@...> wrote:

              > I've also got a question. I was watching this movie lately and there is
              > one guy who's outfit I like. Now since I am not an expert by any means,
              > I was just wondering if he is actually wearing a jinboari or simply a
              > haori without sleeves?
              > Frontside <http://s7.directupload.net/images/130303/f4cir7tc.png>
              > Backside <http://s7.directupload.net/images/130303/o5k7a4nc.png>

              Close - it's the pre-cursor to the haori, the dobuku. Some had sleeves, some didn't, and they were part of a samurai's day-wear in the 16th century.

              http://www.sengokudaimyo.com/garb/graphics/garbphotos/dobuku_sugata.jpg shows some examples.

              Saionji Shonagon