RE: [SCA-JML] Jimbori or Armoured jacket

  • robert_shroyer
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 25, 2013
      Hello there,

      The spelling you're looking for is jinbaori. There are patterns out there and some of them were pretty elaborate.  Unfortunately,  the pattern I have is no longer in print. Sorry I haven't been able to help you more than that.

      Sent via the Samsung Galaxy Note® II, an AT&T 4G LTE smartphone

      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 25, 2013
        Ok, seems I gave up on my Google fu to soon. I've found a different spelling, Jinbaori, and fund what I was looking for. Most of it over on the Tousando site, which I haven't been on in years, and should have checked there.

        So basically I answered my own question. But Thanks for reading.

        Nakos

        ________________________________
        I'm working on project to create heraldic Surcoats/Tabards/Jupons for members of my group and looking to find a period correct version for each of the different members. I was pointed to the Jimbori as the closest for Japanese fighters. Is this the correct spelling? Are there resources out there that can better elaborate on patterns and construction methods? I've done some google and bing searches but I get redirected to Gymboree.

        Thanks for any leads,
        Nakos

      • LJonthebay
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 26, 2013
          Seeing as I've now made four of them from scratch with no pattern (and the first two completely guessing size as they were a surprise for my Prince and Princess), I suppose I should bust out some graph paper and post a pattern at some point.

          The latest is up on the Tousando at
          http://tousando.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=garb&action=display&thread=4303

          Saionji Shonagon
          West Kingdom
        • Charles Dodge
          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 26, 2013
            Saionji,

            This was the main thread that got me digging deeper in the Tousando boards for other threads and how I was able to stumble upon a better spelling. It was most useful.

            Nakos

            ________________________________
            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 3, 2013
              I've also got a question. I was watching this movie lately and there is
              one guy who's outfit I like. Now since I am not an expert by any means,
              I was just wondering if he is actually wearing a jinboari or simply a
              haori without sleeves?
              Frontside <http://s7.directupload.net/images/130303/f4cir7tc.png>
              Backside <http://s7.directupload.net/images/130303/o5k7a4nc.png>

              thanks,
              Pia

            • LJonthebay
              Message 6 of 7 , Mar 3, 2013
                --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "Pia" <ti1816@...> wrote:

                > I've also got a question. I was watching this movie lately and there is
                > one guy who's outfit I like. Now since I am not an expert by any means,
                > I was just wondering if he is actually wearing a jinboari or simply a
                > haori without sleeves?
                > Frontside <http://s7.directupload.net/images/130303/f4cir7tc.png>
                > Backside <http://s7.directupload.net/images/130303/o5k7a4nc.png>

                Close - it's the pre-cursor to the haori, the dobuku. Some had sleeves, some didn't, and they were part of a samurai's day-wear in the 16th century.

                http://www.sengokudaimyo.com/garb/graphics/garbphotos/dobuku_sugata.jpg shows some examples.

                Saionji Shonagon