Re: [SCA-JML] Daimyo questions

    Message 1 of 13 , Feb 10, 2013
      Ii dono!

      Greetings from Solveig!

      > appointment. I believe Solveig-hime prefers "Shugo" (Solveig-hime, how
      > would you recommend using that with a name and the various equivalencies
      > with SCA practice?) because most people are portraying samurai--inherently
      > military in nature.

      As you noted I generally advise people who are interested in playing samurai to adopt military government titles. Shugo is a title and office and should be able to be slotted post-positionally just like you might slot nokami. So <territory>no shugo, <name>shugo, shugo dono ("lord baron"), &c. Simply referring to someone by title is very common in Japan so the last would be fairly common. Although you did not ask, I generally use bushou 武将 for knight and slot that as if it were a regular honorific such as <name>bushou or busho dono ("sir knight"). This is not so much a title as a description. It has the advantage of being frequently used word to describe someone as a military leader in Japanese.

      Incidentally, I do recommend that people who are interested in the Heian period or simply want to be a courtier or have a strong imperial allegiance such as Date dono who recreates the nanbokuchou period use imperial titles or possibly even cloistered emperor appointments. Ahh Japan is delightfully complex when you scratch below the surface.

      Following the Meiji Restoration in 1868 the Japanese adopted a whole new title system in imitation of the English and Germans and invented a whole lot of new words such as danshaku 男爵 (baron) and that sort of thing.

    • JL Badgley
      Message 2 of 13 , Feb 10, 2013
        As a side note, while not really as appropriate for Japanese personas,
        "Danshaku" and other such post period titles are a great way to refer to a
        European baron in Japanese, which is how the Japanese SCAdians I've talked
        with use it.

        Ii
        On Feb 10, 2013 11:36 PM, "Solveig Throndardottir" <nostrand@...> wrote:

        > Ii dono!
        >
        > Greetings from Solveig!
        >
        > > appointment. I believe Solveig-hime prefers "Shugo" (Solveig-hime, how
        > > would you recommend using that with a name and the various equivalencies
        > > with SCA practice?) because most people are portraying
        > samurai--inherently
        > > military in nature.
        >
        > As you noted I generally advise people who are interested in playing
        > samurai to adopt military government titles. Shugo is a title and office
        > and should be able to be slotted post-positionally just like you might slot
        > nokami. So <territory>no shugo, <name>shugo, shugo dono ("lord baron"), &c.
        > Simply referring to someone by title is very common in Japan so the last
        > would be fairly common. Although you did not ask, I generally use bushou 武将
        > for knight and slot that as if it were a regular honorific such as
        > <name>bushou or busho dono ("sir knight"). This is not so much a title as a
        > description. It has the advantage of being frequently used word to describe
        > someone as a military leader in Japanese.
        >
        > Incidentally, I do recommend that people who are interested in the Heian
        > period or simply want to be a courtier or have a strong imperial allegiance
        > such as Date dono who recreates the nanbokuchou period use imperial titles
        > or possibly even cloistered emperor appointments. Ahh Japan is delightfully
        > complex when you scratch below the surface.
        >
        > Following the Meiji Restoration in 1868 the Japanese adopted a whole new
        > title system in imitation of the English and Germans and invented a whole
        > lot of new words such as danshaku 男爵 (baron) and that sort of thing.
        >
        > Your Humble Servant
        > Solveig Throndardottir
        > Amateur Scholar

      • lordtakeda
        Message 3 of 13 , Feb 11, 2013
          Thank you.

          -Takeda

          Message 4 of 13 , Feb 11, 2013
            Shugo, pronounced "Shoe- go"?
            Daimyo, pronounced "Dime-yo"?

            Not sure which term I'll use.

            Thank you for taking the time to assist me.

            -Takeda

            Message 5 of 13 , Feb 12, 2013