Re: [SCA-JML] Daimyo questions

  • JL Badgley
    Message 1 of 13 , Feb 10, 2013
      Are you looking for a military governor, an imperially/royally appointed
      governor, or just a local warlord?

      Personally, I support the XX-no-kami route, in general. As a baron, you
      are appointed by the crown, and it is not necessarily a military
      appointment. I believe Solveig-hime prefers "Shugo" (Solveig-hime, how
      would you recommend using that with a name and the various equivalencies
      with SCA practice?) because most people are portraying samurai--inherently
      military in nature.

      -Ii

      On Sun, Feb 10, 2013 at 8:29 PM, <barontakeda@...> wrote:

      > So, what's the proper title? I'm confused, so sorry.
      >
      > -Takeda
      >

      > ________________________________

    • lordtakeda
      Message 2 of 13 , Feb 10, 2013
        Thank you.

        Shugo, pronounced "Shoe- go"?
        Daimyo, pronounced "Dime-yo"?

        Thank you fopr taking the time to assist me.

        -Takeda

        ________________________________
        Message 3 of 13 , Feb 10, 2013

          > So, what's the proper title? I'm confused, so sorry.

          There are several possible "proper" titles out there. It depends upon what era (etc) you wish to recreate. Since you are most likely interested in the warlords of the Muromachi period, then the proper title is most likely shugo. People can, however, simply address you as "tono" or <territory> "dono" or a variety of other things.

          Message 4 of 13 , Feb 10, 2013
            Ii dono!

            Greetings from Solveig!

            > appointment. I believe Solveig-hime prefers "Shugo" (Solveig-hime, how
            > would you recommend using that with a name and the various equivalencies
            > with SCA practice?) because most people are portraying samurai--inherently
            > military in nature.

            As you noted I generally advise people who are interested in playing samurai to adopt military government titles. Shugo is a title and office and should be able to be slotted post-positionally just like you might slot nokami. So <territory>no shugo, <name>shugo, shugo dono ("lord baron"), &c. Simply referring to someone by title is very common in Japan so the last would be fairly common. Although you did not ask, I generally use bushou 武将 for knight and slot that as if it were a regular honorific such as <name>bushou or busho dono ("sir knight"). This is not so much a title as a description. It has the advantage of being frequently used word to describe someone as a military leader in Japanese.

            Incidentally, I do recommend that people who are interested in the Heian period or simply want to be a courtier or have a strong imperial allegiance such as Date dono who recreates the nanbokuchou period use imperial titles or possibly even cloistered emperor appointments. Ahh Japan is delightfully complex when you scratch below the surface.

            Following the Meiji Restoration in 1868 the Japanese adopted a whole new title system in imitation of the English and Germans and invented a whole lot of new words such as danshaku 男爵 (baron) and that sort of thing.

          • JL Badgley
            Message 5 of 13 , Feb 10, 2013
              As a side note, while not really as appropriate for Japanese personas,
              "Danshaku" and other such post period titles are a great way to refer to a
              European baron in Japanese, which is how the Japanese SCAdians I've talked
              with use it.

              Ii
              On Feb 10, 2013 11:36 PM, "Solveig Throndardottir" <nostrand@...> wrote:

              > Ii dono!
              >
              > Greetings from Solveig!
              >
              > > appointment. I believe Solveig-hime prefers "Shugo" (Solveig-hime, how
              > > would you recommend using that with a name and the various equivalencies
              > > with SCA practice?) because most people are portraying
              > samurai--inherently
              > > military in nature.
              >
              > As you noted I generally advise people who are interested in playing
              > samurai to adopt military government titles. Shugo is a title and office
              > and should be able to be slotted post-positionally just like you might slot
              > nokami. So <territory>no shugo, <name>shugo, shugo dono ("lord baron"), &c.
              > Simply referring to someone by title is very common in Japan so the last
              > would be fairly common. Although you did not ask, I generally use bushou 武将
              > for knight and slot that as if it were a regular honorific such as
              > <name>bushou or busho dono ("sir knight"). This is not so much a title as a
              > description. It has the advantage of being frequently used word to describe
              > someone as a military leader in Japanese.
              >
              > Incidentally, I do recommend that people who are interested in the Heian
              > period or simply want to be a courtier or have a strong imperial allegiance
              > such as Date dono who recreates the nanbokuchou period use imperial titles
              > or possibly even cloistered emperor appointments. Ahh Japan is delightfully
              > complex when you scratch below the surface.
              >
              > Following the Meiji Restoration in 1868 the Japanese adopted a whole new
              > title system in imitation of the English and Germans and invented a whole
              > lot of new words such as danshaku 男爵 (baron) and that sort of thing.
              >
              > Your Humble Servant
              > Solveig Throndardottir
              > Amateur Scholar

            • lordtakeda
              Message 6 of 13 , Feb 11, 2013
                Thank you.

                -Takeda

                ________________________________
                > So, what's the proper title? I'm confused, so sorry.

                There are several possible "proper" titles out there. It depends upon what era (etc) you wish to recreate. Since you are most likely interested in the warlords of the Muromachi period, then the proper title is most likely shugo. People can, however, simply address you as "tono" or "dono" or a variety of other things.

              • lordtakeda
                Message 7 of 13 , Feb 11, 2013
                  Shugo, pronounced "Shoe- go"?
                  Daimyo, pronounced "Dime-yo"?

                  Not sure which term I'll use.

                  Thank you for taking the time to assist me.

                  -Takeda

                  Message 8 of 13 , Feb 12, 2013