Daimyo questions

  • lordtakeda
    Message 1 of 13 , Feb 10, 2013
      Konnichiwa to the List,

      Two questions:

      1. Daimyo: would this be the proper title for a Landed Baron?

      2. What is proper way to pronounce "Daimyo"? Dime- Yo?

      Thank you,
      Baron Takeda Yoshinaka

      Message 2 of 13 , Feb 10, 2013

        Greetings from Solveig! Daimyou 大名 (lit. big name) is not really an office or a title. The title/office that these worthies typically had was shugo (shoe-go) 守護 The shugo were provincial military governors.

      • JL Badgley
        Message 3 of 13 , Feb 10, 2013
          As a title, "X-no-kami" is best--it refers to "The lord/ruler/head honcho
          of X".

          "Shugo" refers to the job. I would think "Shugo-sama" is an appropriate
          term for addressing a baron in general.

          "Daimyo" is not inappropriate, but it isn't necessarily a 1 for 1
          equivalent. Early daimyo ("Big Name") were also shugo, but as the central
          government's hold collapsed others became "daimyo" and held land more by
          the force of their arms and politics with their neighbors than by any
          official appointment.

          -Ii

          Message 4 of 13 , Feb 10, 2013

            Greetings from Solveig! There is a nokami title which was used by civilian/imperial court appointee provincial governors. This should not be confused with the military governors. An interesting note is that a province could and have both flavors of governor. So, yes you can be a nokami but that is claiming a civilian appointment instead of a military appointment. The sugo were around during the Kamakura and Muromachi periods. The nokami date from the organization of the imperial government. There are organization charts for this sort of thing which appear in the appendices of kogojiten. I can recommend a particularly good one if you can deal with Japanese.

          • lordtakeda
            Message 5 of 13 , Feb 10, 2013
              So, what's the proper title? I'm confused, so sorry.

              -Takeda

              ________________________________
              Message 6 of 13 , Feb 10, 2013
                Are you looking for a military governor, an imperially/royally appointed
                governor, or just a local warlord?

                Personally, I support the XX-no-kami route, in general. As a baron, you
                are appointed by the crown, and it is not necessarily a military
                appointment. I believe Solveig-hime prefers "Shugo" (Solveig-hime, how
                would you recommend using that with a name and the various equivalencies
                with SCA practice?) because most people are portraying samurai--inherently
                military in nature.

                -Ii

                On Sun, Feb 10, 2013 at 8:29 PM, <barontakeda@...> wrote:

                > So, what's the proper title? I'm confused, so sorry.
                >
                > -Takeda
                >

                > ________________________________

              • lordtakeda
                Message 7 of 13 , Feb 10, 2013
                  Thank you.

                  Shugo, pronounced "Shoe- go"?
                  Daimyo, pronounced "Dime-yo"?

                  Thank you fopr taking the time to assist me.

                  -Takeda

                  ________________________________

                  Message 8 of 13 , Feb 10, 2013

                    > So, what's the proper title? I'm confused, so sorry.

                    There are several possible "proper" titles out there. It depends upon what era (etc) you wish to recreate. Since you are most likely interested in the warlords of the Muromachi period, then the proper title is most likely shugo. People can, however, simply address you as "tono" or <territory> "dono" or a variety of other things.

                    Message 9 of 13 , Feb 10, 2013
                      Ii dono!

                      Greetings from Solveig!

                      > appointment. I believe Solveig-hime prefers "Shugo" (Solveig-hime, how
                      > would you recommend using that with a name and the various equivalencies
                      > with SCA practice?) because most people are portraying samurai--inherently
                      > military in nature.

                      As you noted I generally advise people who are interested in playing samurai to adopt military government titles. Shugo is a title and office and should be able to be slotted post-positionally just like you might slot nokami. So <territory>no shugo, <name>shugo, shugo dono ("lord baron"), &c. Simply referring to someone by title is very common in Japan so the last would be fairly common. Although you did not ask, I generally use bushou 武将 for knight and slot that as if it were a regular honorific such as <name>bushou or busho dono ("sir knight"). This is not so much a title as a description. It has the advantage of being frequently used word to describe someone as a military leader in Japanese.

                      Incidentally, I do recommend that people who are interested in the Heian period or simply want to be a courtier or have a strong imperial allegiance such as Date dono who recreates the nanbokuchou period use imperial titles or possibly even cloistered emperor appointments. Ahh Japan is delightfully complex when you scratch below the surface.

                      Following the Meiji Restoration in 1868 the Japanese adopted a whole new title system in imitation of the English and Germans and invented a whole lot of new words such as danshaku 男爵 (baron) and that sort of thing.

                    • JL Badgley
                      Message 10 of 13 , Feb 10, 2013
                        As a side note, while not really as appropriate for Japanese personas,
                        "Danshaku" and other such post period titles are a great way to refer to a
                        European baron in Japanese, which is how the Japanese SCAdians I've talked
                        with use it.

                        Ii
                        On Feb 10, 2013 11:36 PM, "Solveig Throndardottir" <nostrand@...> wrote:

                        > Ii dono!
                        >
                        > Greetings from Solveig!
                        >
                        > > appointment. I believe Solveig-hime prefers "Shugo" (Solveig-hime, how
                        > > would you recommend using that with a name and the various equivalencies
                        > > with SCA practice?) because most people are portraying
                        > samurai--inherently
                        > > military in nature.
                        >
                        > As you noted I generally advise people who are interested in playing
                        > samurai to adopt military government titles. Shugo is a title and office
                        > and should be able to be slotted post-positionally just like you might slot
                        > nokami. So <territory>no shugo, <name>shugo, shugo dono ("lord baron"), &c.
                        > Simply referring to someone by title is very common in Japan so the last
                        > would be fairly common. Although you did not ask, I generally use bushou 武将
                        > for knight and slot that as if it were a regular honorific such as
                        > <name>bushou or busho dono ("sir knight"). This is not so much a title as a
                        > description. It has the advantage of being frequently used word to describe
                        > someone as a military leader in Japanese.
                        >
                        > Incidentally, I do recommend that people who are interested in the Heian
                        > period or simply want to be a courtier or have a strong imperial allegiance
                        > such as Date dono who recreates the nanbokuchou period use imperial titles
                        > or possibly even cloistered emperor appointments. Ahh Japan is delightfully
                        > complex when you scratch below the surface.
                        >
                        > Following the Meiji Restoration in 1868 the Japanese adopted a whole new
                        > title system in imitation of the English and Germans and invented a whole
                        > lot of new words such as danshaku 男爵 (baron) and that sort of thing.
                        >
                        > Your Humble Servant
                        > Solveig Throndardottir
                        > Amateur Scholar

                      • lordtakeda
                        Message 11 of 13 , Feb 11, 2013
                          Thank you.

                          -Takeda

                          ________________________________
                          > So, what's the proper title? I'm confused, so sorry.

                          There are several possible "proper" titles out there. It depends upon what era (etc) you wish to recreate. Since you are most likely interested in the warlords of the Muromachi period, then the proper title is most likely shugo. People can, however, simply address you as "tono" or "dono" or a variety of other things.

                        • lordtakeda
                          Message 12 of 13 , Feb 11, 2013
                            Shugo, pronounced "Shoe- go"?
                            Daimyo, pronounced "Dime-yo"?

                            Not sure which term I'll use.

                            Thank you for taking the time to assist me.

                            -Takeda

                            Message 13 of 13 , Feb 12, 2013