Re: Looking for Japanese SCA groups in northern Georgia

  • wildcrimsonsky
    Message 1 of 13 , Dec 29, 2012
      I lived in Yokosuka which is near the end of the Yokohama peninsula. It was 32 years ago so a slightly less modern Japan. My yet to be wife and friends would try to visit someplace different every weekend. It was a good time in my life and I have fond memories of it.

      So, slightly off topic, obi colors to avoid the SCA reserved colors.

      The historical reference often has them as white; however to avoid reserved colors Do you make them the color so the hakama and Kataginu?

      Thanks for all the advice, I've saved the links and will continue on with my research.

      Best Regards,

      Sven Larsson
      (Eyler Larson)

      --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "ErinK" <tupan4@...> wrote:

      > I don't know of any local groups, but if you make it out to Gulf Wars (a few hundred miles away from you near Hattiesburg MS), the Aethelmearc contingent traditionally includes several of us from Clan Yama Kaminari. We're easiest to find on the battlefield or just after opening ceremonies, but any of our countrymen will be able to put you in touch with us for a show & tell session!
      >
      > Also, Saionji-sensei has a good point that there are remarkable resources online (she's only responsible for about half of them... ;) that can help quite a bit in the absence of local experts. We have a great community.
      >
      > So where did you live in Japan and when? I've visited a few times but am always looking for more cool stuff to go see.
      >
      > ERIN / Elaine Fairchilde of Debatable Lands
      >
      > --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "wildcrimsonsky" <wildcrimsonsky@> wrote:
      > >
      > > I've spent some time in the SCA and did the whole late period Scandinavian thing. But I lived for 3 years in Japan and really enjoyed the culture. I have an ancient Japanese dog breed. My wife and I were even married in Kimonos. I wish to explore period Japanese culture. Are there and Japanese SCA groups in northern Georgia?

    • JL Badgley
      Message 2 of 13 , Dec 29, 2012
        On Sat, Dec 29, 2012 at 5:31 PM, wildcrimsonsky <wildcrimsonsky@...>wrote:

        > I lived in Yokosuka which is near the end of the Yokohama peninsula. It
        > was 32 years ago so a slightly less modern Japan. My yet to be wife and
        > friends would try to visit someplace different every weekend. It was a good
        > time in my life and I have fond memories of it.

        I've been out that way. Vale de Draco in the Far West has some folks there
        (though all the events I've been to were at Zama). It is a nice place, and
        if you ever get back out there, there are some good people to meet with.

        > So, slightly off topic, obi colors to avoid the SCA reserved colors.
        >
        > The historical reference often has them as white; however to avoid
        > reserved colors Do you make them the color so the hakama and Kataginu?
        >
        > So, technically only white is reserved. I don't think anyone will
        question an obi that is underneath your hakama, but I could be wrong;
        people are more concerned with white himo cords of the hakama, which are
        much more visible.

        I usually make the koshi-himo the color of the hakama, or use something
        off-white, to avoid any potential conflict. I have at least one outfit
        where I made two pairs of hakama so one could be accurate and the other
        could be SCA acceptable.

      • mkolkie
        Message 3 of 13 , Dec 30, 2012
          I live out in Gwinnett county, and would love to meet with you at a mall, like Sugarloaf, or Mall of GA, and sit and chat, get to know you, and exchange ideas about what projects, hobbies etc.
          Like for instance, I like wood-block cutting and prints, likewise- stencils, katazome, and resist dying. I learned to sew, so I could craft my own sized kimonos, and other items of my kit.
          I follow several projects & people around the country who do things like indigo planting, drying and dying.
          I also want to learn to work with Japanese Persimmons. Like drying them, baking with them, grinding up tart green Persimmons, to make Kaki-shibu;
          http://www.hiromipaper.com/newsletter/LoriGoodman.htm

          Also on the list is making paper, origami, and doing Japanese calligraphy

          Message 4 of 13 , Dec 30, 2012

            Greetings from Solveig! Modern wide obis are pretty much a creature of the Edo period and are largely post-period. As for reserved colors. White is the only officially reserved belt color in the Society. People may also get their noses bent over yellow and green and even blue. For that matter, I once had someone confuse a brown belt for a yellow belt. Unfortunately, white is the standard color for himo and obi for a variety of historical garments. Here is a web page you should know about: http://www.iz2.or.jp/english/ and check out the Costume History in Japan. The web site is for the Costume Museum in Kyoto. Basically, you can sort of go window shopping for clothing via this site.

          • Katashi Itto
            Message 5 of 13 , Jan 1, 2013
              Hi, we have a several individuals here in New Orleans and Gulfport.    We created the Black Lotus clan.   A household, your more than welcome.

              Katashi Itto

              -Black Lotus Clan

              Kendo in slow motion

            • wildcrimsonsky
              Message 6 of 13 , Jan 5, 2013
                Wow, that's more craft than I have time for. However, I would like to discuss fabric dying and block printing and your sewing of garments. Mall of GA sounds good, let me check with the boss (wife) and see what weekend would be good. Do you have a preference?

                Best Regards,
                Sven Larsson
                (Eyler Larson)