Re: japanese name structure

  • Ishiyama Gen'tarou Yori'ie
    Message 1 of 17 , Dec 15, 2012
      I've been using the following reference for myself. If I'm wrong on
      any of this, I'd appreciate any corrections.

      My registered name is:

      Ishiyama Gen'tarou Yori'ie

      My full name with title is:

      Ishiyama Gen'tarou Yori'ie roku-i

      That breaks down to:

      Ishiyama (family name - indicating "Stone Mountain" family)
      Gen'tarou (yobina - I am the first son)
      Yori'ie (nanori - personal name)

      roku-i (title - essentially THL, Senior sixth rank, ordered OHM)

      I would be called into court by:

      Ishiyama Gen'tarou Yori'ie roku-i

      The Honorable Lord Ishiyama Gen'tarou Yori'ie

      Formally, people would call me:

      Ishiyama roku-i (Honorable Lord Ishiyama)

      Ishiyama-dono (Lord Ishiyama)

      Roku-i-dono (Your Lordship)

      Sensei (Teacher, if I am teaching a class)

      Ojousama (Milord, only by speakers of lower rank than I am)

      Danna (Milord, only used by speakers of lower rank than I am)

      Informally:

      Ishiyama (friends, householders)

      Yori'ie (close friends, householders, and family)

      Gen'tarou (family, like calling me "brother" or "son")

      Some Nickname

      I'd also appreciate any additions if anybody has any. I'm curious what
      people might use to address me specifically as a craftsman who has not
      yet achieved master status. "Ishiyama-shokunin" seems a bit exalted.

      --
      THL Ishiyama Gen'tarou Yori'ie
      (mka: Elliott C. Evans)
      Message 2 of 17 , Dec 20, 2012
        What references did you use for finding your name, if you understand what i mean? I just need info on how I am going to be able to document my name so it can pass

        --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, Ishiyama Gen'tarou Yori'ie <ishiyama@...> wrote:

        > I've been using the following reference for myself. If I'm wrong on
        > any of this, I'd appreciate any corrections.
        >
        > My registered name is:
        >
        > Ishiyama Gen'tarou Yori'ie
        >
        > My full name with title is:
        >
        > Ishiyama Gen'tarou Yori'ie roku-i
        >
        > That breaks down to:
        >
        > Ishiyama (family name - indicating "Stone Mountain" family)
        > Gen'tarou (yobina - I am the first son)
        > Yori'ie (nanori - personal name)
        >
        > roku-i (title - essentially THL, Senior sixth rank, ordered OHM)
        >
        > I would be called into court by:
        >
        > Ishiyama Gen'tarou Yori'ie roku-i
        >
        > The Honorable Lord Ishiyama Gen'tarou Yori'ie
        >
        > Formally, people would call me:
        >
        > Ishiyama roku-i (Honorable Lord Ishiyama)
        >
        > Ishiyama-dono (Lord Ishiyama)
        >
        > Roku-i-dono (Your Lordship)
        >
        > Sensei (Teacher, if I am teaching a class)
        >
        > Ojousama (Milord, only by speakers of lower rank than I am)
        >
        > Danna (Milord, only used by speakers of lower rank than I am)
        >
        > Informally:
        >
        > Ishiyama (friends, householders)
        >
        > Yori'ie (close friends, householders, and family)
        >
        > Gen'tarou (family, like calling me "brother" or "son")
        >
        > Some Nickname
        >
        > I'd also appreciate any additions if anybody has any. I'm curious what
        > people might use to address me specifically as a craftsman who has not
        > yet achieved master status. "Ishiyama-shokunin" seems a bit exalted.
        >
        > --
        > THL Ishiyama Gen'tarou Yori'ie
        > (mka: Elliott C. Evans)
        > ishiyama@...

      • Ishiyama Gen'tarou Yori'ie
        Message 3 of 17 , Dec 20, 2012
          tiberianmagic2004 wrote:
          > What references did you use for finding your name, if you understand
          > what i mean? I just need info on how I am going to be able to
          > document my name so it can pass

          I did not pick a name first and then start researching. I used the SengokuDaimyo web site as a reference to choose a name, and the Naming Conventions in Medieval Japan book to refine and document it. If you pick your name from a list of names that has already been researched, you will have far fewer problems.

          The household I am in camps at Pennsic with the same group as Lady Solveig, and she was kind enough to help me utilize the NCMJ and fill out my submission forms.

          It still took about a year for the paperwork to be processed by the perennially overworked volunteers in the College of Heralds, but there were no difficulties.

          --
          The Hon. Lord Ishiyama Gen'tarou Yori'ie
          (m.k.a. Elliott C. "Eeyore" Evans)