Re: [SCA-JML] Re: gores and gussets

  • Ellen Badgley
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 4 10:37 AM
      The particular rectangular gusset in this case is where you'd measure rise.
      For a parallel illustration, check out the *uwabakama *at
      These are the topmost set of *hakama *accompanying court garb, and they
      are actually constructed of two entirely separate leg-tubes, with a
      completely "loose" strip of fabric hanging between (from mid-front to
      mid-back of the waist) to conceal the gap between the leg-tubes. This
      sounds extreme (and exposed!) but whenever these are worn the *ho *(outer
      robe) would hang down to the knees or past, plenty far enough to provide
      coverage. The example from *Honcho-Gunkiko *is analogous: the strip is far
      more attached, but the hakama would still have been worn under armor.

      Ii-dono and I were talking about it last night and it's our impression that
      wherever this "crotch-strip" (following the rise) shows up, it is to
      strengthen/reinforce/cover an actual gap in the crotch (presumably for
      convenience of access to, ahem, sanitary facilities). Hakama to be worn
      outermost or visible tend to have the square gusset instead (if they have a
      gusset at all), and show no or little clear gap between the legs if someone
      is standing straight-legged.

      (We've constructed hakama which end up resembling Lady Roxanne's, although
      the method used to join the leg-tubes is different. I would also caution
      that contrary to the wearing instructions, experience has shown it is far
      better to tie the front ties before the back ties-- again, for easy access
      if one has to use the restroom.)

      - Abe