Re: [SCA-JML] Fwd: [PMJS] Meeks on Miko

  • the.lady.phoenix@gmail.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 1 5:42 PM
      I've always translated it as Preistess. As that seems to fit better.
      They are more then "mediums" and "shamans" are usually part of a less
      structured religious structure then the mikos are part of. The term
      Priestess long predates the terms shaman or medium.

      Also Mikos are exclusively female. A Miko is a "Shrine Maiden" a
      maiden is a woman. The Kanji for Miko are;
      Mi=Shaman,Oracle, Medium, Priest/Priestess, diviner, sorcerer/socereress
      Ko=child, little, young, young woman
      Depending on which source you use for translation. Translating
      languages is more of an art then a science as anyone will tell you.
      Call a christian religious leader a shaman or medium and see the
      reaction for a good time. They prefer priest, if you want the truth
      from the horse's mouth ask a real Miko what translated Title they
      want. Though looking at the few official websites I could find from
      Japan it is most often translated as Shrine Maiden.