Re: [SCA-JML] Fabric

  • JL Badgley
    Message 1 of 14 , Sep 9, 2012
      On Sep 9, 2012 4:45 PM, <the.lady.phoenix@...> wrote:

      > Good rule of thumb is to get fabric that is heavy or light enough for
      > you to be comfortable in. Natual fabrics preferred. and in case you
      > forgot, no peasants in the SCA :).

      Everyone is assumed to be noble, but that doesn't mean you have to be. I
      have seen several very "noble" peasants who pulled it off well.

    • the.lady.phoenix@gmail.com
      Message 2 of 14 , Sep 9, 2012
        Ohh I fully understand that no bra thing, I can get away with not
        wearing one, but it feels uncomfortable. and by the way cotton isn't
        always thin, you can get it in heavier weight weaves, but if you used
        cotton to line a wool outer that might work well for you. IE using
        the cotton to line a heavier often scratchier but warmer material...
        especially if you have to go bra-less.... Like a midnight run to the
        bathroom..... Just saying! If your in Atlantia look me up we could
        do a sewing weekend/week for you if you wanted. I do have an
        industrial sewing machine so I could help you quickly make whatever it
        is you need garb-wise.

        Ai

        Message 3 of 14 , Sep 9, 2012

          Greetings from Solveig! I don't believe that wool was regularly used in Japan. Consider using hemp, linen, ramie, silk, or cotton for that matter. Japanese clothing can be quite warm.

        • the.lady.phoenix@gmail.com
          Message 4 of 14 , Sep 9, 2012
            I know it wasn't (wool) used often in Japan, however it is available
            over here more regularly then the others or is substantially less
            expensive. Plus I was just grabbing a couple of fabrics I'm more used
            to sewing and their properties. I agree your list is more authentic,
            sadly we often have to go with what we can find/afford :(

            Ai

            > Noble Cousins!
            >
            > Greetings from Solveig! I don't believe that wool was regularly used in
            > Japan. Consider using hemp, linen, ramie, silk, or cotton for that matter.
            > Japanese clothing can be quite warm.
            >
            > Your Humble Servant
            > Solveig Throndardottir
            > Amateur Scholar

          • Angela
            Message 5 of 14 , Sep 10, 2012
              thanks again everyone, this helps a lot.

              sadly i live in LA so wouldnt be able to meet up with you.
              but we do have a really good garment district ^^.

              thanks guys