Re: [SCA-JML] Fabric

  • Angela Jackson
    Message 1 of 14 , Sep 9, 2012
      No peasants? Hmm no one told me that. I knew we couldn't known nobles and I understand not being peasant class, but what of the merchant class? Oh well I'll just save it for my non sca pirate.

      As for the bra, that's just personal, thankfully I'm flat chested in nature but I'm not comfortable walking around without a bra or some form of bandage >.>

      On Sep 9, 2012, at 1:45 PM, the.lady.phoenix@... wrote:

      > Good rule of thumb is to get fabric that is heavy or light enough for
      > you to be comfortable in. Natual fabrics preferred. and in case you
      > forgot, no peasants in the SCA :).
      >
      > Also the Japanese aesthetic is for more flat chested women rather then
      > the current standard for big breasts that cause back problems. Just
      > saying they didn't wear bras, and even after the western world made
      > contact retained that lack of supportive undergarments. Until the
      > modern times. Again just saying, and this is just from what I've
      > read.
      >
      > On 08/09/2012, Angela <dragonwithin15@...> wrote:
      > > Hello friends,
      > >
      > > I am thinking of making a sleeveless give (mainly for a pirate persona, but
      > > also for peasant-ish clothing) and i dont know what to do about the fabric.
      > > Here is the thing, i know next to nothing about fabric. From my
      > > understanding it is heavier than regular cotton, but do any of you have any
      > > preferences? or can tell me what to look for?
      > >
      > > again this is for a top that will be worn mainly by itself (with pants of
      > > course) so it should be heavy enough to be worn with only a bra or
      > > undershrit

    • JL Badgley
      Message 2 of 14 , Sep 9, 2012
        On Sep 9, 2012 4:45 PM, <the.lady.phoenix@...> wrote:

        > Good rule of thumb is to get fabric that is heavy or light enough for
        > you to be comfortable in. Natual fabrics preferred. and in case you
        > forgot, no peasants in the SCA :).

        Everyone is assumed to be noble, but that doesn't mean you have to be. I
        have seen several very "noble" peasants who pulled it off well.

      • the.lady.phoenix@gmail.com
        Message 3 of 14 , Sep 9, 2012
          Ohh I fully understand that no bra thing, I can get away with not
          wearing one, but it feels uncomfortable. and by the way cotton isn't
          always thin, you can get it in heavier weight weaves, but if you used
          cotton to line a wool outer that might work well for you. IE using
          the cotton to line a heavier often scratchier but warmer material...
          especially if you have to go bra-less.... Like a midnight run to the
          bathroom..... Just saying! If your in Atlantia look me up we could
          do a sewing weekend/week for you if you wanted. I do have an
          industrial sewing machine so I could help you quickly make whatever it
          is you need garb-wise.

          Ai

          Message 4 of 14 , Sep 9, 2012

            Greetings from Solveig! I don't believe that wool was regularly used in Japan. Consider using hemp, linen, ramie, silk, or cotton for that matter. Japanese clothing can be quite warm.

          • the.lady.phoenix@gmail.com
            Message 5 of 14 , Sep 9, 2012
              I know it wasn't (wool) used often in Japan, however it is available
              over here more regularly then the others or is substantially less
              expensive. Plus I was just grabbing a couple of fabrics I'm more used
              to sewing and their properties. I agree your list is more authentic,
              sadly we often have to go with what we can find/afford :(

              Ai

              > Noble Cousins!
              >
              > Greetings from Solveig! I don't believe that wool was regularly used in
              > Japan. Consider using hemp, linen, ramie, silk, or cotton for that matter.
              > Japanese clothing can be quite warm.
              >
              > Your Humble Servant
              > Solveig Throndardottir
              > Amateur Scholar

            • Angela
              Message 6 of 14 , Sep 10, 2012
                thanks again everyone, this helps a lot.

                sadly i live in LA so wouldnt be able to meet up with you.
                but we do have a really good garment district ^^.

                thanks guys