Re: hakui

  • Ishiyama Gen'tarou Yori'ie
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 2, 2012
      amyj1430 wrote:
      > I have a friend who asked me if I would be willing to try and make
      > a hakui to wear with a hakama. Where would I find a pattern to make
      > something like this? I found a pattern for the Hakama and it seems
      > to be going ok but really not familiar with what a Hakui is and how
      > to make one. Totally new to this, any help would be appreciated,

      My web searching seems to indicate that "hakui" is a more generic
      term, meaning roughly "white uniform top". It appears to be used for
      both the garment worn by religious pilgrims and what in English we
      might call a "lab coat" or "work shirt", although always white. Web
      searches on that term also yield quite a lot of pornography, so it
      is possible your friend is having a joke at [y]our expense. =^)

      I would look around for "kosode" patterns instead. The kosode is the
      medieval predecessor of the modern kimono, and is the generic upper
      body garment for both men and women in the SCA period. In plain
      white it is nearly always appropriate, especially as a base layer.

      --
      THL Ishiyama Gen'tarou Yori'ie
      (mka: Elliott C. Evans)