Re: hakui

  • LJonthebay
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 2, 2012
      --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "amyj1430" <amyj1430@...> wrote:

      > Hi,
      >
      > I have a friend who asked me if I would be willing to try and make a hakui to wear with a hakama. Where would I find a pattern to make something like this? I found a pattern for the Hakama and it seems to be going ok but really not familiar with what a Hakui is and how to make one. Totally new to this, any help would be appreciated,

      I'm stumped. Does your friend have pictures of the item in question?

      Saionji Shonagon
      West Kingdom
    • Ishiyama Gen'tarou Yori'ie
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 2, 2012
        amyj1430 wrote:
        > I have a friend who asked me if I would be willing to try and make
        > a hakui to wear with a hakama. Where would I find a pattern to make
        > something like this? I found a pattern for the Hakama and it seems
        > to be going ok but really not familiar with what a Hakui is and how
        > to make one. Totally new to this, any help would be appreciated,

        My web searching seems to indicate that "hakui" is a more generic
        term, meaning roughly "white uniform top". It appears to be used for
        both the garment worn by religious pilgrims and what in English we
        might call a "lab coat" or "work shirt", although always white. Web
        searches on that term also yield quite a lot of pornography, so it
        is possible your friend is having a joke at [y]our expense. =^)

        I would look around for "kosode" patterns instead. The kosode is the
        medieval predecessor of the modern kimono, and is the generic upper
        body garment for both men and women in the SCA period. In plain
        white it is nearly always appropriate, especially as a base layer.

        --
        THL Ishiyama Gen'tarou Yori'ie
        (mka: Elliott C. Evans)