Re: [SCA-JML] Re: Kyō wa minasan

    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 24 11:58 AM

      Greetings from Solveig! In terms of registering with the College of Arms, kanji present two problems:
      1. It can be difficult to describe them.
      2. Designs consisting entirely of abstract symbols (e.g., kanji, Arabic mottos, Latin mottos, &c.) are not allowed.

      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 24 12:24 PM

        > oh i see. could you give me an example of how one would describe a shield or crest? do you mean using only 16ct terms?
        There is this "Language of Blazon" which is supposed to be used. Examples of this appear in one of several online dictionaries of heraldry.
        Paker's glossary of heraldry can be found at: http://www.heraldsnet.org/saitou/parker/index.htm

      • LJonthebay
        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 24 1:30 PM
          http://www.sengokudaimyo.com/miscellany/heraldry.html has information on how to deal with mon in an SCA context.

          My device (mon) is described heraldically as: "Argent, three fans in pall inverted (two on top, one at the bottom) conjoined at the handles azure (blue) each charged with a demi-roundel flat to center (half moon) argent (silver)." Or a white field with three blue fans with a white half moon on each.

          Saionji Shonagon
          West Kingdom
        • Angela
          Message 4 of 9 , Aug 24 10:11 PM
            thank you everyone, this has helped me greatly.

            Message 5 of 9 , Aug 25 7:18 AM

              Greetings from Solveig! The College of Arms recently changed the rules. SENA (the new rules) are more strict about typical SCA heraldry, but SENA is also supposed to make it easier to document historical heraldry including Japanese heraldry. How this will work out in practice is not yet known.