今日はみなさん

  • Angela
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 24, 2012
      はじめまして, my name is angie and i have been lurking for a while but i have a question that I can't find out on my own and i was hoping for some help.

      I wanted to make a mon for my persona but before i do i need to understand if they had kanji in them. I think i saw some mon with kanji but i'm not sure how traditional that is.

      thank you for your time.

      どうぞよろすく
    • LJonthebay
      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 24, 2012
        MODERATOR NOTE: As you can see, Yahoo does not know what to do with Japanese.

        --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "Angela" <dragonwithin15@...> wrote:
        > I wanted to make a mon for my persona but before i do i need to understand if they had kanji in them. I think i saw some mon with kanji but i'm not sure how traditional that is.

        If you're making something for SCA use, you have to be able to describe your mon using European heraldic terms, so kanji pose a problem.

        Welcome to the list,

        Saionji Shonagon
        West Kingdom
      • Angela Jackson
        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 24, 2012
          >.> so i saw. i will keep that in mind. should i rewrite it?

          - A. K. Jackson

          ________________________________

          Message 4 of 9 , Aug 24, 2012
            oh i see. could you give me an example of how one would describe a shield or crest? do you mean using only 16ct terms?

            Message 5 of 9 , Aug 24, 2012

              Greetings from Solveig! In terms of registering with the College of Arms, kanji present two problems:
              1. It can be difficult to describe them.
              2. Designs consisting entirely of abstract symbols (e.g., kanji, Arabic mottos, Latin mottos, &c.) are not allowed.

              Message 6 of 9 , Aug 24, 2012

                > oh i see. could you give me an example of how one would describe a shield or crest? do you mean using only 16ct terms?
                There is this "Language of Blazon" which is supposed to be used. Examples of this appear in one of several online dictionaries of heraldry.
                Paker's glossary of heraldry can be found at: http://www.heraldsnet.org/saitou/parker/index.htm

              • LJonthebay
                Message 7 of 9 , Aug 24, 2012
                  http://www.sengokudaimyo.com/miscellany/heraldry.html has information on how to deal with mon in an SCA context.

                  My device (mon) is described heraldically as: "Argent, three fans in pall inverted (two on top, one at the bottom) conjoined at the handles azure (blue) each charged with a demi-roundel flat to center (half moon) argent (silver)." Or a white field with three blue fans with a white half moon on each.

                  Saionji Shonagon
                  West Kingdom
                • Angela
                  Message 8 of 9 , Aug 24, 2012
                    thank you everyone, this has helped me greatly.

                    Message 9 of 9 , Aug 25, 2012

                      Greetings from Solveig! The College of Arms recently changed the rules. SENA (the new rules) are more strict about typical SCA heraldry, but SENA is also supposed to make it easier to document historical heraldry including Japanese heraldry. How this will work out in practice is not yet known.