Re: [SCA-JML] Re: need help

  • Andrew Trembley
    Message 1 of 33 , Jul 11 5:27 PM
      On Tue, Jul 10, 2012 at 5:25 AM, Ishiyama Gen'tarou Yori'ie <
      ishiyama@...> wrote:

      > What about the hitoe? The Mitsuo Kure "red book" shows a Kamakura
      > era daimon hitatare with two under-layers of hitoe that only come
      > down to mid-thigh. I know the text of this book is riddled with
      > errors, so I'm never quite sure what to think.

      The errors tend to be translation and language errors.

      The physical garments in Kure's "Samurai" are the same recreation garments
      usually seen on mannequins at the Kyoto Costume Museum. I believe they had
      a bit of difficulty finding models who were small enough (comparable to the
      historical-sized mannequins) to fit the garments properly, but they were
      close-ish. So what might be mid-thigh on a model might be closer to knee
      length on a period-sized person. Still not a major difference.

      andy

    • LJonthebay
      Message 33 of 33 , Jul 12 10:02 AM
        --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, Ishiyama Gen'tarou Yori'ie <ishiyama@...> wrote:
        > What about the hitoe? The Mitsuo Kure "red book" shows a Kamakura
        > era daimon hitatare with two under-layers of hitoe that only come
        > down to mid-thigh. I know the text of this book is riddled with
        > errors, so I'm never quite sure what to think.

        IIRC, that garment might be hiked up to that length and held in place with himo, but I'd have to go look at the picture again.

        Seconding Andy's comment - the photos are useful, the translation and complete lack of bibliography are profoundly unhappy making.

        Saionji Shonagon