Re: My Sandogasa arrived!

  • Ishiyama Gen'tarou Yori'ie
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 9, 2012
      ladyhallaofmugmort wrote:
      > Now I need to know two things: what kind of cord is used
      > to tie it on under the chin, and how is that cord arranged?

      I really need to take some pictures of this, but I didn't want
      to wait much longer to reply.

      I recommend using braided cotton cord for this as it is soft,
      absorbent, affordable, and washable. You'll need about seven
      feet total, in four pieces. Most of the cord can be fairly
      thin, but the part at the chin should be as thick and soft as
      possible, for your comfort.

      The best method I've seen was taught to me by Sir Ogami Akira,
      and is adapted from the bindings seen on kabuto helmets. It is
      very secure. When tightly tied, even strong wind is more likely
      to shift your head than to shift the kasa.

      This method is for kasa that have a tall basket-style atamadai
      that I am told is Okinawan. Bokunan-Do refers to this as a
      "mount type atamadai ring".

      http://www.bokunan-do.com/images/kasa/b-7789.jpg

      If yours has a flat ring with loops, you can skip the steps
      below on making the ear loops from cord.

      1. Cut two pieces of cord.

      2. Put the kasa on your head, and find the spots on the atamadai
      that are about an inch forward of your years. Mark the spots.

      3. Tie one cord to each of those spots.

      4. Put the kasa back on your head, and find the spots on the
      atamadai that are about an inch aft of your ears.

      5. Loop the cords on each side up to that spot so that the loops
      hang down just below your ears. Mark the spots on the atamadai
      and on the cords.

      6. Tie the cords to the spots atamadai so that you will now have
      one loop on either side of your head that hangs down to just
      below your ears. You can trim off any extra cord.

      7. Put the kasa back on your head, and find the spots on these
      loops that are "at the back" of your head. The exact placement
      will vary depending on your head shape. Mark those spots, and
      measure the approximate distance between them.

      8. Tie some cord between those spots, leaving the correct distance
      between them. Tie this cord so that it will stay in place, but
      can be adjusted up or down if necessary.

      9. Put the kasa back on your head, with the new piece at the back
      of your head and adjust it. Now, take the last piece of cord,
      pass it through one loop, beneath your chin, and through the
      other loop. take the two loose ends and knot them together in
      a bow at the front of your chin, which makes a loop around the
      point of your chin.

      I'll try to take some pictures soon, which will clarify a lot. I
      need to attach cords to a new sandogasa myself.

      > And how is the veil attached to the edge so an honorable
      > lady might travel without being besieged by the sun?

      I've never done this, so I don't know the best way. The kasa
      alone is normally enough to shield your eyes and face from the
      sun. I think the veil is for the lady's privacy.

      --
      The Hon. Lord Ishiyama Gen'tarou Yori'ie
      (mka: Elliott C. "Eeyore" Evans)
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 21, 2012
        Arigatou gozaimasu.

        I will post pictures of what I have. I have the insert for the hat, need to tie that in and find some cord to have it tie under my chin.

        Halla

        BTW -- I added you as a friend on Flickr

        > http://www.flickr.com/photos/70104978@N00/sets/72157603181938617/ has photos of how I attached mine.
        >
        > I have to unpack from West An Tir War tonight, but will try to get some shots of how I attached the veils to mine for you if I can.
        >
        > Saionji Shonagon,
        > West Kingdom

      • ladyhallaofmugmort
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 21, 2012
          Pictures of sandagasa

          http://www.flickr.com/photos/lady_halla/sets/72157630685389214/

          I need to attach the insert, and figure out how it attaches under my chin. I have a tool to make round kumihimo, so I can make some cord, or I can buy some cord. The white acrylic stuff that is on there now is too slippy to stay tied, and the ends are fraying anyways.

          Halla
        • ladyhallaofmugmort
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 21, 2012
            That is exactly what I have, this helps a lot!

            Halla

            --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, Ishiyama Gen'tarou Yori'ie <ishiyama@...> wrote:

            > that I am told is Okinawan. Bokunan-Do refers to this as a
            > "mount type atamadai ring".
            ..