My Sandogasa arrived!

  • ladyhallaofmugmort
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 6, 2012
      Now I need to know two things: what kind of cord is used to tie it on under the chin, and how is that cord arranged? And how is the veil attached to the edge so an honorable lady might travel without being besieged by the sun?

      YIS

      Halla
    • Ishiyama Gen'tarou Yori'ie
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 9, 2012
        ladyhallaofmugmort wrote:
        > Now I need to know two things: what kind of cord is used
        > to tie it on under the chin, and how is that cord arranged?

        I really need to take some pictures of this, but I didn't want
        to wait much longer to reply.

        I recommend using braided cotton cord for this as it is soft,
        absorbent, affordable, and washable. You'll need about seven
        feet total, in four pieces. Most of the cord can be fairly
        thin, but the part at the chin should be as thick and soft as
        possible, for your comfort.

        The best method I've seen was taught to me by Sir Ogami Akira,
        and is adapted from the bindings seen on kabuto helmets. It is
        very secure. When tightly tied, even strong wind is more likely
        to shift your head than to shift the kasa.

        This method is for kasa that have a tall basket-style atamadai
        that I am told is Okinawan. Bokunan-Do refers to this as a
        "mount type atamadai ring".

        http://www.bokunan-do.com/images/kasa/b-7789.jpg

        If yours has a flat ring with loops, you can skip the steps
        below on making the ear loops from cord.

        1. Cut two pieces of cord.

        2. Put the kasa on your head, and find the spots on the atamadai
        that are about an inch forward of your years. Mark the spots.

        3. Tie one cord to each of those spots.

        4. Put the kasa back on your head, and find the spots on the
        atamadai that are about an inch aft of your ears.

        5. Loop the cords on each side up to that spot so that the loops
        hang down just below your ears. Mark the spots on the atamadai
        and on the cords.

        6. Tie the cords to the spots atamadai so that you will now have
        one loop on either side of your head that hangs down to just
        below your ears. You can trim off any extra cord.

        7. Put the kasa back on your head, and find the spots on these
        loops that are "at the back" of your head. The exact placement
        will vary depending on your head shape. Mark those spots, and
        measure the approximate distance between them.

        8. Tie some cord between those spots, leaving the correct distance
        between them. Tie this cord so that it will stay in place, but
        can be adjusted up or down if necessary.

        9. Put the kasa back on your head, with the new piece at the back
        of your head and adjust it. Now, take the last piece of cord,
        pass it through one loop, beneath your chin, and through the
        other loop. take the two loose ends and knot them together in
        a bow at the front of your chin, which makes a loop around the
        point of your chin.

        I'll try to take some pictures soon, which will clarify a lot. I
        need to attach cords to a new sandogasa myself.

        > And how is the veil attached to the edge so an honorable
        > lady might travel without being besieged by the sun?

        I've never done this, so I don't know the best way. The kasa
        alone is normally enough to shield your eyes and face from the
        sun. I think the veil is for the lady's privacy.

        --
        The Hon. Lord Ishiyama Gen'tarou Yori'ie
        (mka: Elliott C. "Eeyore" Evans)
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 21, 2012
          Arigatou gozaimasu.

          I will post pictures of what I have. I have the insert for the hat, need to tie that in and find some cord to have it tie under my chin.

          Halla

          BTW -- I added you as a friend on Flickr

          > http://www.flickr.com/photos/70104978@N00/sets/72157603181938617/ has photos of how I attached mine.
          >
          > I have to unpack from West An Tir War tonight, but will try to get some shots of how I attached the veils to mine for you if I can.
          >
          > Saionji Shonagon,
          > West Kingdom

        • ladyhallaofmugmort
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 21, 2012
            Pictures of sandagasa

            http://www.flickr.com/photos/lady_halla/sets/72157630685389214/

            I need to attach the insert, and figure out how it attaches under my chin. I have a tool to make round kumihimo, so I can make some cord, or I can buy some cord. The white acrylic stuff that is on there now is too slippy to stay tied, and the ends are fraying anyways.

            Halla
          • ladyhallaofmugmort
            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 21, 2012
              That is exactly what I have, this helps a lot!

              Halla

              --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, Ishiyama Gen'tarou Yori'ie <ishiyama@...> wrote:

              > that I am told is Okinawan. Bokunan-Do refers to this as a
              > "mount type atamadai ring".
              ..