Re: [SCA-JML] Re: West An Tir War 7/4-7/8/2012, Gold Beach, OR

    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 28, 2012

      > Do you know of any places that sell cheap or used Taiko drums? We are trying to start up a Taiko drum group here in New Orleans.

      You should not expect to find cheap taiko drums. Your least expensive option is to make the things for yourself. One option is to make the things out of old wine barrels. This approach is labor intensive. I believe that someone here has also made taiko drums out of plastic barrels of some sort.

      Note to everyone. While taiko drums are fun and yes there were drums in period, modern taiko drumming is just that modern. There was an interesting article about the genesis of a signature drumming style associated with kodo which appeared in Monumenta Nipponica (I think that was the journal) within the last couple of years.

    • LJonthebay
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 28, 2012

        > You should not expect to find cheap taiko drums. Your least expensive option is to make the things for yourself.

        Please be sure to check out the resources on taiko collected at
        http://groups.yahoo.com/group/sca-jml/links/Taiko_Resources_000977356420

        > Note to everyone. While taiko drums are fun and yes there were drums in period, modern taiko drumming is just that modern.

        Yup. I do not claim any different either. But it beats the Dumbekistan Drum and Drum Corps at most wars.
        http://www.wodefordhall.com/taiko.htm includes links to articles on taiko history.

        As a side note, the group I study with, Kaji Yama Taiko, is playing on the local Buddhist Temple's float in the Alameda July 4th parade, and performing at the Higashi Temple's Obon Odori in Berkeley on July 14th.

        Saionji Shonagon,
        West Kingdom
      • ErinK
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 1, 2012
          Check out Taiko Community on Facebook for mundane taiko resources.
          http://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/taikocommunity/

          There might be a group nearby already!

          ERIN