opinion on a book please

  • Gara of Lions Gate
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 31, 2000
      I was given a book today and I wanted to ask the opinion of the Japanese
      scholars on this list.

      It is published by Kodansha, and it is titled "Japanese History, 11 Experts
      Reflect on the Past". It's both in English and Japanese, and it is a
      compilation of articles from the Japanese history section of "Kodansha
      Encyclopedia of Japan".

      And in case it's a good book worth buying, fyi it is ISBN4-7700-2024-4. I
      got it as a gift, lol.

      Gara
    • Kass McGann
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 2, 2001
        > It is published by Kodansha, and it is titled "Japanese History, 11
        Experts
        > Reflect on the Past". It's both in English and Japanese, and it is
        > compilation of articles from the Japanese history section
        of "Kodansha
        > Encyclopedia of Japan".

        Never heard of it, Gara. But now I'm going to go look it up.

        If nothing else, I believe Kodansha's Encyclopedia of Japan is
        supposed to be very good, so if this is taken from that, it should be
        alright.

        Kass
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 2, 2001
          Gara of Lions Gate wrote:

          > I was given a book today and I wanted to ask the opinion of the Japanese
          > scholars on this list.
          >
          > It is published by Kodansha, and it is titled "Japanese History, 11 Experts
          > Reflect on the Past". It's both in English and Japanese, and it is a
          > compilation of articles from the Japanese history section of "Kodansha
          > Encyclopedia of Japan".

          And Kodansha continues to water-down their academic lines... <wry g>

          The Kodansha EOJ is a wonderful (and horribly expensive) series of books. The
          desktop version is good for holding your desk down, but not bad if you don't
          have access to the EOJ. The new book seems to be cut down yet more from the
          latter.

          Side note: when I was in Japan, I was asked to contribute a few articles for
          the Desktop edition of the EoJ... Never got around to it, and that frustrates
          the heck out of me to this day.